Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

All my adult life, I've had a low heart rate. Recently I've

Customer Question
All my adult life, I've...
All my adult life, I've had a low heart rate. Recently I've been feeling very sluggish and I noticed a lack of energy doing my daily routine. I have two appointments coming up next month with my doctors but I don't want to wait until then to get some answers. I'm 69 yrs old, black male and I have multiple myoloma.
JA: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: I don't know if anyone in my family had a history of heart problems and this condition is very recent. I feel tired all the time lately
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I had a subdural hematoma last year and I saw that doctor last week. He didn't find anything wrong with my head. He's the one that told me I have a low heart rate and that might contribute to my energy
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medical
5/11/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 6 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually if the low heart rate is very low, that is below 50 then it is likely to be associated with an underlying disease process. USually the low heart rate is due to an underlying issue with one of the glands of the body. One of the commonest causes is associated with teh thyroid gland. Hypothyroidism can affect the heart rate as well as affect your energy levels this could lead to the development of other symptoms like weight gain, hair loss, coarse skin etc. A simple thyroid function test would be diagnostic here. Similarly a low heart rate can be associated with adrenal insufficiency as well, and if your adrenals are not working properly that can even lead to the development of fatigue and lack of energy. A simple cortisol level or a short synactin test would be diagnostic in this situation.

Now it is also possible that the heart rate is due to teh heart itself, now it is not necessary for all heart disease to be be due to blockage of the arteries of the heart. It is true that many a time that is the underlying cause but at the same time there are other causes as well. problems with the electrical system of the heart can lead to a low heart rate which in turn can cause a decreased amount of blood being pumped out of the body and also fatigue. A condition known as sick sinus syndrome can cause this problem as well. These conditions can be diagnosed with the help fo a coomplete cardiac workup with EKG, echocardiogram and a also a 24 hour holter monitor test which would monitor the heart for a whole day to determine what changes occur in the heart rate.

Lastly this can also be due to the multiple myeloma that you have, MM can lead to high calcium levels which in turn can affect the heart and also cause the fatigue that you have been experiencing. A simple blood tests followed by treatment for high calcium would be helpful here.

There are several other causes as well which can include autoimmune diseases which can affect the heart and also cause the fatigue and that can be diagnosed with tests like ANA, ENA profile among others.

Basically i think the above causes should be ruled out first to determine the cause for your symptoms and you should discuss these with your doctor on your next visit.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor