Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

Can I tell you some of my symptoms and you help me out,

Customer Question

Can I tell you some of my symptoms and you help me out
JA: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?
Customer: Extreme chest pain, trouble swallowing, trouble breathing, rapid heart rate, dry cough, soar throat, weird pressure/ pain at top of stomach
JA: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: No heart disease. I've been in and out of sicknesses for months. Had strep throat about a month ago and have had a pretty bad cold for the past week or so. I haven't had much sleep the past few days and have had an increase in caffeine because it is finals week at school.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I had asthma as a kid. Haven't really had problems since, until about 3 weeks ago I think I had an asthma attack after I smoked marijuana. I barely smoke other than that day.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 5 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

What is your age and gender?

Since how long are your symptoms?

Were any investigations and treatment done for your present symptoms?

Do you have anxiety, fever?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I turn 20 in July. female.My recent chest pain symptoms have only been lasting since around 8:30 pm (mountain time).I was given antibiotics for my strep. I didn't finish all of them but I took most.
I did nothing for my asthma attack.I think I do have anxiety but i did not feel that anxious today. No fever.

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in a few minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Whenever there is an extreme chest pain of sudden onset; rule is to get an EKG for ruling out heart association. Though I would lie to emphasize that heart attacks are extremely rare in your age group females. Having said that, you are symptoms can also occur due to;

1) Esophageal spasm
2) Esophageal motility disorder
3) Esophagitis.

4) Pneumonia

5) Polychondritis

6) Pleurisy

Last 3 will require antibiotic with anti inflammatory.

Following treatment may help you for the first three ailments;

a) Calcium channel blockers (diltiazem, nifedipine) decreases the spasm and improves the movements of the esophagus.
b) Relaxation techniques.
c) Noncardiac chest pain in the setting of esophageal spasm and esophageal movement disorder (dysmotility) often shows good response to antireflux therapy, even in the absence of typical gastroesophageal reflux symptoms.
d) Reassurance and control of anxiety is extremely important.
e) Tylenol
Anti reflux therapy is;

1) antacids; Maalox

2) acid blocker; Prilosec

3) loosing weight, if overweight.

4) avoiding alcohol, citrus fruits and juices, chocolate, and tomato based products

5) avoiding large meals. Eat 5 small meals in a day.

6) wait three hours after the meal before you sleep.

7) elevate head end of the bed by 8 inches.

You may also consider getting a chest x-ray with the EKG for the evaluation.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My current chest pain and inability to breath is my biggest concern. My entire throats feels sore and has given me a stiff neck. What can I do right now to help?

Please do following measures;

1) Ibuprofen

2) Warm compresses

3) Warm salt water saline gargles

4) Steam inhalation

5) Local analgesic spray on neck

6) Prilosec.

It is privilege assisting you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Should I go to the hospital or something like is this potentially serious? Or will I be okay

If pain is moderate to severe, go to hospital. This is the recommendation and guideline. Any chest pain of moderate to severe intensity should be evaluated by the hospital or doctor. If pain is mild, you may do home measures, we had discussed.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions. It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.