Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

Been diagnosed with MRSA after a skin-cancer surgery

Customer Question

been diagnosed with MRSA after a skin-cancer surgery (4/11/17). I'm on medications, but what precautions should I take so as to not pass this on to anyone? I live alone.
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: -no allergies. I'm taking doxycycline (100 mg) twice per day, mupirocin ointment on the wound itself, along with my heart medications.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have had a triple-bypass three years ago, and my health has been good other than recently. I also had a squamos cancer surgery on my face a couple of years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 4 months ago.

Hello. MRSA can be quite contagious but you are already on 2 antibiotics, including the mupirocin, and should not be at significant risk of passing it on. That said, you would want to take normal precautions such as keeping the area of the wound covered and keeping your hands very clean, as they are usually the culprit in terms of transmission. In addition, you should check in regularly with your doctor to make sure the wound is healing (MRSA can be resistant to some antibiotics). You should also ask your doctor of you are carrying the bacteria in your nasal passages (a common source). If so, you may need to put mupirocin ointment in the nostrils to eradicate a potential source of future infection. Your doctor may want to swab your nose to look for nasal carriage of the MRSA.