Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

Been taking 5mg bystolic for quite awhile with good results.

Customer Question

Hi been taking 5mg bystolic for quite awhile with good results . Now my blood pressure is 150/66 could a sleep aid which I have been taking do that?
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Any other symptoms?
Customer: Seems since I started taking the sleep aid . No other symtems
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No . Been tested for everything all is ok
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 5 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

I am writing you the answer. It may take 5 minutes.

The sleep aid may do it. You have a cause and effect relationship. You have noticed that before starting it, everything was going great. But before labeling it as a sole culprit, few other cause need to be considered.

The diastolic pressure (the lower reading which is 66) gets lowered due to the atherosclerosis of aortic valve and stiffening of the aorta (the biggest artery in body). The difference between the systolic (upper) and diastolic (lower BP reading) pressure (termed as pulse pressure), should be around 50 or less. This is not alarming or urgent but is important. So this should be addressed by your cardiologist by getting a fresh echocardiography. Please read these resources;

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pulse-pressure/AN00968

http://www.blood-pressure-updates.com/bp/index2.php?option=com_content&do_pdf=1&id=277

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.