Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I previously was tested positive for tb skin test couple

Customer Question

I previously was tested positive for tb skin test couple years ago I got treated and got cleared by my doctor but now I'm in dental school and require another test I tested positive as well but since I was treated and cleared by my doctor am I okay or will I have to retake the treatment ?
JA: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?
Customer: None
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have the herpes virus
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 5 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Okay thank you

You won't need any new treatment. Once you are positive, you are always positive as antibodies remain in the system and will react to the test. Since you have taken the treatment, thee is no problem.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
will I have to ask my doctor for medical history that I have been treated or will they make me get a chest X-ray
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 5 months ago.

Hello. This is Dr. Love. The system says that you have requested a new expert.

The other expert is correct that once a TB skin test is positive, it will remain positive, essentially for the rest of your life.

In situations in which monitoring for TB is important (such as the health care field, in which someone with TB can potentially infect many people), the usual approach for someone with a history of positive TB skin test and treatment is to obtain the medical records to document that treatment occurred and to obtain a chest x-ray. The purpose of treatment of a positive skin test is to prevent progression to active disease.And while treatment is very effective, nothing in health care is 100%. And the method for detection of whether TB has progressed despite treatment is a chest x-ray.

The odds are great that the chest x-ray will be clear, and once it is shown to be normal, then the dental school will not have any issue with you caring for patients on clinical rotations.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.