How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Arun Phophalia Your Own Question
Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 35463
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Arun Phophalia is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an OB/GYN question: I'm 28, and for about 14 years my

Customer Question

I have an OB/GYN question: I'm 28, and for about 14 years my periods have lasted 6 months or so at a time with a break of 1.5/2 years between them. Between the ages of 13 and 19 I had 3 ovarian cysts and a miscarriage. I've been to the doctor on multiple occasions, who prescribes different birth control pills each time, but they just make the bleeding heavier. The doctor then suggested the problem was caused by being overweight, but this anomaly has been going on since before I put on weight. He's refused to refer me to any specialists because my attempts to lose weight haven't been particularly successful. If I don't get an answer soon I'm considering getting a hysterectomy and just being done with it all. Any ideas? Thank you.
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 4 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 4 months ago.

What did your hormone tests show?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I haven't had any hormone tests for a few years, but they were all normal.
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in a few minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 4 months ago.

You should get the following investigations to ascertain the cause of this abnormal bleeding:

1) FSH, LH, and estrogen levels.

2) TSH to rule out thyroid dysfunction

3) Prolactin level

4) A general chemistry profile to check for any systemic diseases

5) Pelvic ultrasound to check endometrial stripe.

By far the hormonal causes are the commonest for this bleeding.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 4 months ago.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.