Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Is 64/50 a dangerous blood pressure reading? I'm not sure

Customer Question

is 64/50 a dangerous blood pressure reading?
JA: Is this consistent, or is there some fluctuation in blood pressure?
Customer: I'm not sure should i retake it
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I am on blood pressure meds and have atrial fibulation
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 5 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

Yes, a blood pressure of 64/50 is potentially dangerous. However, if you are felling well, the first issue is whether it is an accurate blood pressure determination.

Could you check the blood pressure again? In fact, could you check the blood pressure in both arms?

Are you having any symptoms?

I have not heard back about the recheck of blood pressure.

Generally speaking, a blood pressure that is significantly below 90/60 can be dangerous. There is diminished blood flow to major organs, and someone can pass out because of inadequate blood flow to the brain. Passing out can be very dangerous depending upon when it happens, and causes risk for various fractures, head trauma, etc.

However, as I said above, if you are feeling well, it is morre likely that this was a false reading. If you are feeling well and the recheck of the blood pressure looks good, then this was almost certainly a false reading, and there is no reason for concern. However, if the repeat blood pressure is at a similar level in both arms, then there would be significant concern.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.