Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO
93248684

I have started taking some over the counter meds for acid

Customer Question

I have started taking some over the counter meds for acid reflux and now I have a metallic body odor. Especially about 4 or 5 hours after taking it. Is this ok or is my body not reacting to the meds ok?
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: I am taking Gavasgon(not sure about spelling) and Zantex.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I also take Metroprol for pitro valve prolasps
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 5 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Stan and I will assist you with your question today. I am U.S. trained,

Board Certified and I have 32 years of patient experience. I am happy to help you. I'm sorry that you are having acid reflux problems. Gaviscon, an antacid and Zantac, a H2 blocker usually work well together. the metallic odor may be due to the magnesium in Gaviscon. Switching to an combination based antacid such as Maalox may eliminate this problem for you. Also may I suggest replacing the Zantac with a PPI such as over the counter Nexium. This reduces the formation of stomach acid better than a H2 blocker and may after a few days of use, negate the need of the antacid altogether. None of the medications will interfere with your Metoprolol.

Does this help you? I certainly hope so.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank You
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 5 months ago.

You are welcome.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have.

Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance. I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. If you find the information I provided helpful, so I am compensated for my service, please rate me with 5-Stars. Thank you