Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

I have serious anxiety problems and was wonderin if there

Customer Question

Hi there i have serious anxiety problems and was wonderin if there was anything out there that could help me with panic attacks this is all due to a very traumatic experience that i had 2 weeks ago
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 4 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

The best way to deal with panic is a comprehensive approach. It can be treated by the following measures by yourself;

1) Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) and operant-behavioral therapy (OBT); done by a psychologist but there are internet based approach nowadays too. CBT has higher efficacy and lower relapse rates.

2) Relaxation training and biofeedback.

3) Hypnosis

4) Acupuncture and acupressure

5) Yoga

6) Meditation

7) Group sporting activities

8) St. John's wort

9) Melatonin
10) Valerian root

11) Deep breathing exercises.

A major component of therapy involves understanding and assuring yourself that the symptoms are neither from a serious medical condition nor from a mental deficiency but rather from a chemical imbalance in the fight or flight response. CBT helps to understand how automatic thoughts and false beliefs/distortions lead to exaggerated emotional responses, such as panic, and how they can lead to secondary behavioral consequences.Cognitive restructuring involves substituting positive thoughts and getting rid of negative thoughts. Some studies have suggested that high importance to religion and religious practices also improve panic symptoms and prevent recurrences.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My original gp prescribed me a small course of xanax which has helped immensly do you think that it would be a good idea to obtain another prescription?

Xanax causes dependence. so currently is out of favor for any long term management. For short term it may be right.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.