Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Experience:  Board certified.
65718478

Second opinion] What may be causing a strong ammonia odor in

Customer Question

Second opinion] What may be causing a strong ammonia odor in my pee? And constant urge to urinate, a burning feeling and small amount of pee when voiding? Am I dehydrated? Not eating right? Been drinking water to flush out the strong odor.JA: How long have you been dealing with the burning? Are you experiencing any other discomfort?Customer: It's been a few days now. Having a stop and go period. Burning before my menstruation and during. Stop and go menstruation. Bleed one day and stop the next and then come again. Waiting to see if I can flush the strong ammonia odor out.JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?Customer: Irregular menstruation. Sometimes twice a month and it would be off and on.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 4 months ago.
This is a urinary tract infection. Water will not flush it out. You need an antibiotic presription from your physician.