Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

What can we do to stop the bleeding of chunk of skin sliced

Customer Question

What can we do to stop the bleeding of chunk of skin sliced off the pad of a finger tip
JA: How long have you been dealing with the skin issue? Have you noticed any major changes in your overall skin or nails recently?
Customer: No my wife sliced her finger with a paring knife. it took about 1/8" deep chunk off the finger pad about 1/2" wide
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 4 months ago.

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

You should apply ice and lot of pressure over the finger with gauze pads as cover. Please keep the finger elevated. Pressure should be maintained for at least 10 minutes and may be longer. And she may nee stitches to stop the bleeding given the wide gaping wound. Hence it is prudent to go to the urgent care if possible.
Alum stone if available can be used to put pressure as it helps to clot the blood faster.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star on top).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/