Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

Is it possible for bowel gas to back up and be burped

Customer Question

Is it possible for bowel gas to back up and be burped through the mouth? I've had very nasty tasting burps for a few months. My abdomen bloats and becomes very hard during these spells. I do have chronic pancreatitis. Can they be related.
JA: Have you noticed any recent swelling? Do you have any tooth pain?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: High blood pressure, Barrett's Disease, heart stents due to 3 separate MIs
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 5 months ago.

Dear customer,

Thank you for the question.

It is possible that the normal digestion and absorption of nutrients is not occurring due to chronic pancreatitis and pancreatic insufficiency, which will lead to residual nutrients for bacteria to feed upon, and cause burping. However other conditions such as acid reflux also need to be considered. Have you had H.pylor test done?

Take care.

Did I answer your question?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Not sure - have to check. EGD done 02/15/2017 - results showed healing of large gastric ulcer

Dear customer,

Do you have the report? Please upload.

Dear customer,

It is likely that your doctors would have tested for H.pylori. What medications were prescribed for the gastric ulcer?

Dear customer,

Are you still having burning pain in the stomach? What medication are you taking now to reduce your stomach acidity?

Please reply, so that I will be able to give you a satisfactory answer.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No current burning pain. Pantoprazole 40 mg BID until ulcer healed. Still taking Pantoprazole 40 mg BID plus Ranitidine 300 mg once daily at bedtime. Have been taking Creon TID for over a year. Lengthy list of other medications including Savella, Metadone, Crestor, Metoprolol, Tizanidine, Celoxobid, Armour Thyroid, Paroxitine, Topiramate, Toviaz, Zolpidem, Lorazepam, and a daily adult Aspirin. In addition I take OTC Fatty Acid combination for heart health. Too many pills!

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

With no present symptoms, and with adequate treatment of the ulcer, your burping is unlikely to be due to the acidity. So, the likely cause can be pancreatic insufficiency due to chronic pancreatitis. Or this could be due to overgrowth of bacteria in the intestine. So, I would recommend that you supplement your diet with probiotic medication, or take Activia yoghurt which contains probiotics. This may be beneficial, and your symptoms can decrease after a few days. However if the symptoms remain despite taking the probiotics for at least a month, then further testing for pancreatic insufficiency or small intestinal bacterial overgrowth is required and is the next step.

Take care.

Did I answer your question? Please reply.

Dear customer,

Do you have any more questions?

Thank you.

Dear customer,

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

If your question was satisfactorily answered, then please rate the answer with 5-stars.

Thank you.