Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

Are you real or computer? Ok. I type real slow so please

Are you real or computer?
JA: No. I'm the Doctor's Assistant.
Customer: Ok. I type real slow so please dont disconnect. Ok?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have CHF, COPD,and high blood pressure.
JA: When was last time you had a check up? Is there a history of high blood pressure in your family?
Customer: I am admitted to hospital now and my mom died when i was young and dad was a drunk...so i don't know family history.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your medical history. Can you clarify what is your medical question? Take as much time as you need in typing it down.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok. Thank you.

Ill wait for your question, unfortunately i cannot take a call as i am in the hospital with no cell reception. We can continue here.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok.. I am 54 years old. I have CHF, COPD and I take alot of meds. I have also been clean from meth for 3 months . I was clean for 20 years and relapsed. I also told the docter when I ended up there.
The last 3 or 4 admits to hospital, I just found out they have been testing me. I didn't care until I was told they all tested positive for meth. I swear on my mother's life I have been clean. I started looking up my medications I take, will give you a false positive. I want to know for sure which ones so I can tell them to test farther to prove it. They are me so bad now. Its not fair. So knowing the whole story. My question is if I send you a list of my meds can you tell me which ones will give you a false positive?

Yes i can give me the list and i will check them

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you.
Bupropion XL 300 mg daily
Spironolactone 25mg daily
Singular 10mg daily
Advir Diskuus 2 times daily
Carvedilol 6.25mg 2times daily
Aspirin 1 time dailey
Amlopidine 5mg 1 daly
Mylanta
Abuterol. Rescue Inhaler
Abuterol Nedbulizer
Furosemide 40mg 2times dailyI think that is all of them.

Thanks for this question,

Bupropion would give a false positive for ecstasy and not meth

Spironolactone does not cause a false positive for any drug

Singulair usually does not cause a false positive

Advir diskuus usually also does not cause a false positive

Similarly for the rest of them, they dont cause false positives for meth in your tests. These drugs usually dont cause false positives for meth HOWEVER many normally used OTC drugs can cause a false positive, these include drugs like ranitidine (zantac) or even drugs like brompheniramine, chlorpheniramine, ephedrine, guaifenesin, phenylephrine, pheniramine which are found in normal OTC cold and cough remedies can cause a false positive here.

Now while the above drugs dont cause a false positive in most cases, it is not impossible that they may cause a false positive reaction in your case. There have been case reports in whom drugs which normally dont cause an issue have caused a problem in rare cases. BUT the best solution here is to have your doctor run a GC/MS test on the same sample which would clear you of using meth completely. Even if you had a false positive on the screening test the GC/MS test would clearly indicate that you had a false positive and you will be cleared effectively. Another way is to have your doctor run a hair test which can effectively clear you of using the meth as well, and the doctor can run a GC/MS test on the ahir sample as well.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.