Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I found out I had strep on Thursday CK am allergic to

I found out I...

I found out I had strep on Thursday CK am allergic to penicillin so they put me on zithromycin. I'm on day three and the pain won't go away. What should I do?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

I have had the pain since Tuesday and Thursday they gave me the antibiotic. On top of that I have been drinking tea and taking Advil. Nothing seems to relieve the pain

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Nothing. Usually if I get strep by day two I am feeling better on the antibiotics but I seem to be feeling worse on day three.

4/22/2017
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually azithromycin is a good drug to manage strep throat however given that you have had strep before then it is possible that your strain could have developed a resistance to some antibiotics which may include azithromycin. if this is the case then the antibiotic would need to be changed to one which can kill off the bacteria. These can include drugs like moxifloxacin or even a oral cephalosporin like cefixime. But at the moment i would recommend that you give the antibiotic another day to start working sometimes antibiotics like azithromycin can take upto 5 days to start working and it is advisable to give it some more time if by the start of the 5th day you dont feel better then you should contact your dpctor for a change in antibiotics.

in the meantime, use OTC ibuprofen at a dose of 400-600 mg thrice a day which can help with the pain, if necessary add tylenol to the mix at a dose of 1 g thrice a day. You should also use saline gargles which can help soothe the throat, use warm saline to gargle.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Very helpful response!

You are welcome. Bets of luck

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor