Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have history of reflux. I got bronchitis and laryngitis…

I have history of...

I have history of reflux. I got bronchitis and laryngitis and upper abdomen discomfort and choking feeling in throat about ten weeks ago. The bronchitis and laryngitis passed after about ten days however the pressure , soreness and fullness and discomfort and burping in my upper abdomen is still there with pressure up into my oesophagus and a horrible tight choking feeling in my throat. I was put on zoton for 4 weeks and it never touched my symptoms. I was then switched to nexium 20 mg a day. Initially there was a tiny improvement but it didn't last . I was then put on 40 mg a day. It did not help. For the past 4!weeks it was increased to 80 Mg s a day but it is not helping the symptoms. It may half improve one day but changes back to the horrible symptoms again the next day. Over all I think the nexium is not working. I m booked in for a scope next Thursday. I am now off all nexium and Zantac and gaviscon to prepare for the scope. My symptoms are worse than ever but I have to stay medicine free for this week. I've cut down in some foods and trying to keep to as low a carbohydrate diet as possible. I have an under active thyroid and the only meds I take on a regular basis is eltroxine 100 mg a day. I'm a 55 year old female and post menopausal. I have no other health issues and I'm starting to get worried about my ongoing symptoms especially as they don't seem to be responding to the ppi. My bloods came back fine except for low vitamin d and high cholesterol. My doc thinks it could be stress related but I don't feel v stressed. Can you give me any idea what this could be. It's sitting there for ten weeks choking me in the throat and squeezing like hell in my upper abdomen with gas coming up throughout the day . Which I may add gives me relief and the only other thing that gives me relief is eating. What could be wrong with me doctor. It's making me feel so miserable every day.

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

I only take eltroxine 100 mg everyday for under active thyroid. Not allergic to anything

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No . had reflux in the past but never had these symptoms

Answered in 1 hour by:
4/22/2017

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

I just came online and saw your question unanswered for long.

Your symptoms are suggestive of;

1) Hiatal hernia

2) Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).

3) Gall bladder disease.

Apart from the scope which you have appointment, you may get following also for the evaluation;

1) Ultrasound of abdomen.

2) Barium esophagogram.

3) Ambulatory 24-hour pharyngoesophageal pH monitoring

Acid reflux / GERD can cause reflux laryngitis and even bronchitis.

Following measures are helpful:

1) Small 5-6 meals a day.

2) Last meal should be eaten 3 hours before lying down.

3) Avoid; fried or fatty foods, chocolate, peppermint, alcohol, coffee, carbonated beverages, citrus fruits or juices, tomato sauce, ketchup, mustard, vinegar.

4) Eat slowly so air is not swallowed.

5) Swallowing therapy by a speech-language pathologist.

6) Lose weight if obese or overweight.

7) Elevate the head of the bed by 6 inches.

8) Avoid tight clothing.

9) Stop smoking if you do.

Please see the resource;

http://www.medicinenet.com/reflux_laryngitis/article.htm

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi doctor! I am eating the correct foods. That's similar to what my own doctor told me. I'm not over weight. My doctor kind of dismisses my symptoms. This is going on for ten weeks . It is worse tonight that it was ten weeks ago . Cannot sleep with the discomfort in throat and abdomen. Hoping it's because of stopping the 80 mg a day of nexium suddenly. Is it unusual doctor that symptoms did not respond to ppi? I did a few neck stretches today that I saw posted on the internet and it has really aggravated my throat. It even looks swollen down the front of throats tonight. I presume that was the wrong thing to do. Can't get to sleep with that choking feeling now.

PPI alone may not many times control the symptoms. An antacid (Tums / Maalox) and than another medication like Ranitidine may also be necessary for the control of symptoms. Rarely surgery like Nissen fundoplication may need to be done, if the medications are not giving adequate relief.

Avoid unaccustomed physical exertion which too may be aggravating factor.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your help and advice. That's all.

You are most welcome.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.