Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I am having pain in the back of my right knee. For about two

Hello,I am having pain in the back of my right knee. For about two weeks it was getting worse in terms of the more I walked, the worst the pain got. I'm pretty active and walk a lot and ride my bike about fifty miles a week although I'm overweight at 186 lbs female and five feet six inches. The worst pain happens when I try to kneel or otherwise bend my knee all of the way. After one 20 mile bike ride my whole knee felt so weak I thought it might buckle so I went to see my doctor. He couldn't see anything wrong with it. More specifically, no swelling. He gave me a compression brace and told me to apply ice. It has been about two more weeks since then and the compression brace has helped my bike riding quite a bit and I'm back to riding my fifty miles a week. However when I walk a lot and then sit down getting back up is extremely painful. I can barely bend the knee without excruciating pain. Same spot--back of knee. I limp along until something feels like it clicks inside the joint and the pain is greatly reduced and I can walk much more easily. There is a very definite click that happens. Can you tell me what this sounds like it could be and how to help it heal?

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

It sounds like a politeal muscle strain which lies behind the knee or a posterior ligament injury due to unnoticed wrong movement. I would recommend you to take tablet ibuprofen twice a day for 5 days and apply capsaicin cream with cold compresses over the area. Massage gently with any oil daily and use knee brace. If it does not improve in couple of days then do see an orthopedic for thorough evaluation and imaging to rule out anything serious.

Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Best.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What is the clicking due to? I tried OTC medicine and it didnt touch the pain. My Dr prescribed diclofenac and it's not helping.

Thanks for the reply.

Clicking is most likely due to ligament injury most commonly posterior cruciate which is diagnosed mostly on clinical examination and an MRI by an orthopedic. I would recommend you to get a consultation from specialist if it is not improving by now.

Hope this helps.

Best.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Would crutches help? It also hurts when I straighten the leg all the way.

Yes, crutches can help as they can provide rest to the affected knee and related muscles for some days. Apply capsaicin cream as well.

Best.

.

Please let me know if you have followup questions