Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I have pain in my upper left back & over my heart that hurts

Customer Question

I have pain in my upper left back & over my heart that hurts when I breathe or move. It feels similar to pluresy
JA: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: It hurts more When I breathe in deeply.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have a lot of mucus nearly every day.
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It feels similar to pleurisy.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 6 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. I just came online to see that you had been waiting for sometime, let me just write down an answer for you and ill get back to you in a few minutes. In the meantime can you tell me if you have had any cough as you mentioned a lot of mucus, was this in the cough or from the nose? Shortness of breath etc?

Now from waht you are describing it sounds like that you certainly could have developed pleurisy which is a condition in which the covering of the lungs, the pleura, is inflammed as a result of viral or bacterial infections. If you have had a flu like illness or even a cold in the last one month then you certainly could have developed pleurisy. This can cause cough, pain on deep breathing as well as fever in some cases. usually the diagnosis is based on a clinical examination and also on the basis of a simple chest xray. The treatment depends on the causative agent, if it is a bacteria then antibiotics may be needed otherwise usually steroids are used for a short duration of time.

Another cause of this sort of pain can be associated with costochondritis with muscle spasms of the intercostal muscles which would cause pain in a band like fashion extending from the front to the back. Costochondritis is inflammation of the cartilages of the ribs and this would be diagnosed on a simple clinical examination and then treated with anti inflammatory agents like ibuprofen which can be very helpful.

Lastly this can also be due to a lung pathology especially if you have shortness of breath or cough which is worsening, atypical pneumonia can present with pain and coughing and in many cases a patient may not have a fever either. It is referred to as walking pneumonia because the patient is not as sick as you would expect. A chest xray would be diagnostic and the treatment is with simple antibiotics for a period of 7-10 days.

Now i would recommend that you start using an increased amount of water along with electrolyte rich fluids like gatorade and also start using anti inflammatory medications like ibuprofen at a dose of 400 mg thrice a day but DO get a chest xray done by visiting your doctor ASAP.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/