Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,MS
4931939

What does moderate narrowing of L4-5 andL5-s1mean also

Customer Question

What does moderate narrowing of L4-5 andL5-s1mean also severe lower lumbar facet arthropathy at l4-5 and l5-s1 mean
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Yes I'm on percocette 10/325 and baclofen 20mg
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: He has other back ground
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to justanswer.I am Dr.Sawhney and your complete satisfaction is my goal.

I am an orthopedic surgeon and I am reviewing your question.

I shall respond shortly.

I will try to explain both the things you are asked.
1. "severe lower lumbar facet arthropathy at l4-5 and l5-s1" .We have 33 vertebra in our Spine and between each 2 vertebra there is an intervertebral disc along with two facet joints at the back portion of the vertebral body.
The disc and the two facet joints at each level are known as triple joint complex.
Together they provide stability and motion at each vertebral level. With use and age the facet joints degenerate causing loss of cartilage and formation of extra bone at margins of the facet joints. This is known as facetal arthropathy.
2. "moderate narrowing of L4-5 andL5-s1"
Just behind the disc and in front of the facet joints runs the spinal cord and the nerve roots.
Facetal arthropathy causes extra bone formation and this bone bulges into the spinal canal causing compression on the spinal cord and nerve roots. Other structures including the disc which may bulge into the spinal canal, ligamentum flavum which is actually a covering on the back of the spinal cord, may get thickened and l bulge into the spinal canal causing narrowing of the canal.
Because of the narrowing of the canal the spinal cord and the nerve roots can get compressed leading to pain down the lower limbs.
Feel free to ask any follow up questions.
Do take a moment to honour by work and time by rating my answer, hopefully 5 stars.