Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

Can being a massage therapist, cause keinbocks disease, or

Customer Question

can being a massage therapist, cause keinbocks disease, or further injure the wrist
JA: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?
Customer: pain, in the center of the wrist top and bottom and loss of range of motion
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: a year,,anything gripping or grapping
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: nothing I can think of
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 4 months ago.

Hello

Welcome and Thank you for your query posted.

My name is***** and being a Medicine specialist I would be able to provide you with an appropriate solution to your concern.

Please note that my Goal is to provide you with an Excellent Service .

Before I answer your question I would like to get some more information:

No , massage cannot cause Keinbock's disease.

This disease occurs due to lack of blood supply to the bone due injury or just naturally.

Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
how fast can kienbocks disease occur, and what type of injury can cause lack of blood flow

The cause of Kienböck's disease is not known. Many people with Kienböck's disease think they have a sprained wrist at first. They may have experienced some form of trauma to the wrist, such as a fall. This type of trauma can disrupt the blood flow to the lunate.

Some things may put you more at risk for the disease. For example, most people have two vessels that supply blood to the lunate, but in some people there is only one source. This may slow the blood flow to the bone. In addition, if the two bones of the forearm (the radius and ulna) are different lengths, extra pressure can be put on the lunate during some wrist motions. Over time, this extra stress on the bone may lead to Kienböck's disease.

It can develop over a few years

Hello

Do you Agree with what i have mentioned ?