Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

Does high saline content in the air, such as in South Padre

Customer Question

Does high saline content in the air, such as in South Padre Island, contribute to dehydration? (It was a cause given for my Type A flu).
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Yes, I am over it. That flu led immediately to pneumonia, from which I was cured in March, but from which I am still weakened.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I had the flu once before in 1963. I am 78 years old, have had several surgeries unrelated, but was otherwise in strong health at the time.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually the simple answer here is NO, it would not lead to dehydration per se. Now particulates in the air may cause issues with breathing but they would not cause dehydration to any significant extent in a person, usually the particulates (including saline in air) would cause irritation to the lungs and may some patients more prone to coughing and to develop infections but they would not cause dehydration to any significant levels. Most of the water in the body is lost from the skin, yes you do lose moisture via breathing but that amount is low when compared to the water lost from the skin via sweating or via the urine. So even if the saline content is high it would not lead to any significant dehydration however the greater the particulates in the air, the worse would be its quality and certain patients may develop lung pathologies because of that.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/