Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

Last week I woke up with a knot on the back of my head/neck

Customer Question

Hi yes, last week I woke up with a knot on the back of my head/neck area, then later in the day felt another knot come up right next to it. The we're very sore the first few days like I may have hit my head on something. I was having some headache pains just on the side of the knots. And then a day after getting those two, another smaller knot appeared on the side of my neck. It's been a little over a week since I've had them and they haven't gone down in size at all but they're not sore like they were the first few days. I also broke out in a very ugly rash around the same time of getting the knots. The rash seemed to be triggered by the sun but it has not been itchy! Just very bumpy and red. Just wondering if these could somehow be related
JA: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?
Customer: No nausea, and the headaches only seemed to be at night time and I only had them the first few days of getting the knots
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Well I had a baby 9 months ago and I had a birth control put in that is supposed to last up to 5 years and I'm wondering if it may have something to do with that
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 6 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

The rash and knots are likely to be related. The knots seems to be enlargement of the lymph nodes due to rash. And the rash seems to be urticaria. This can be due to birth control. The major causes of urticaria are;

1) Foods or food additives

2) Inhalation, ingestion of, or contact with antigens

3) Drug reactions

4) Infections: bacterial, fungal, viral, and helminthic/parasites

5) Insects (papular urticaria)

6) Cold urticaria

7) Aquagenic (water) urticaria

8) Solar (Sun) urticaria

9) Chronic autoimmune (problems of immunity) urticaria

10) Chronic idiopathic (unknown reason) urticaria

Oral anti-histaminics are effective and you may try Benadryl.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.Thanks for using Just Answer.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** definitely go ahead and see a doctor to narrow down the causes. Just wanted get a medical opinion on what the causes may be.

You are very welcome.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Just Answer is based on honor system. Experts are paid for time and expertise only when a positive rating is received.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/