Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

My Mother has been waking up at 2-3 am with near heart

Customer Question

My Mother has been waking up at 2-3 am with near heart attack systems for many years now.....she has had tranqilizers such as Ativan (double dose) in her system and still in occurs.....only dampened some what.The only period this did not occur is when she was on a vitamin injection, low food intake diet called HCG diet (Ketogenic).....She has had her uterus removed years ago and is on compounded estrogen along with a balanced diet and is almost a recluse (practically) in hopes of minimizing stress triggers and stopping this 2-3 am near heart attacks.....As in she is dead asleep, not even dreaming, and her heart rate jumps to 120 bpm, chest pounding and breaking into a sweat lying down in her bed EVERY NIGHTLost 60 pounds on the already mentions doctor supervised diet. That doctor suspected nocturnal hypoglycemia. Was using Casein FX brand low glycemic protein powder to fill in the gaps......Had also 8 pm suppers with vegetables and basically no carbs or sugar.Which vitamin and/or mineral deficiencies that can cause this? Mom has never had an episode during the day.Suspect an excessive cortisol waking up surge.The problem is not GETTING TO SLEEP, all previously prescribed tranquilizers and medications were delayed release and she GETS to sleep fine. Still boom, awake she is, at 2-3 am no matter the dosage.Some of those tranquilizers basically 'zombified' my Mom for the entire day, making it impossible to get anything done, and they only masked the heart problems.Please help her, as our family is at our wits end...
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 4 months ago.

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

iron deficiency is common in sleep issues

it is because iron is tied to dopamine

what meds does she take?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i will send you the list when i can soon, as she just got back to sleep and I have no idea what she currently takes....

Ok

standing by