Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

What do you know about rectal inflammation possibly caused

Customer Question

what do you know about rectal inflammation possibly caused by taking too many prescription drugs
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: not allergic to anything
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 4 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

What is your age and gender?

What are your symptoms?

What are the medications you are suspecting to cause the inflammation of the rectum?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
37, female. Symptoms are inflammation, sweat, odor. I don't know what medications caused it but I've taken some recently for other issues where I've felt a difference (less hot). I've taken sulfamethoxazole, methylprednisolone, separately and the inflammation went away for about 4 days and returned. I recently drank aloe vera juice and felt a difference as well - a few days, and then the inflammation returned. It's quiet embarrassing because of the odor. I'm desperate.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I saw my family doctor in feb and told him of this issue, he prescribed xifaxan of which my insurance didn't cover, and I felt no difference in symptoms. I've been to so many doctors, spent time and money, researching this, there are other people w the same symptoms and they say the same thing - doctors don't want to help.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He said if the medication didn't work to go back to an intestinal doctor I had seen almost 10 years ago. Ive been also taking probiotics that have done nothing.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This intestinal doctor performed an endoscopy and basically found nothing. I truly believe I have some type of resistant bacteria from taking too many medications over the years or perhaps from not completely finishing a prescribed drug.
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 3 months ago.

You mentioned of symptoms; inflammation, sweat, odor.

1) Am I understanding right; this is rectum inflammation. What are your exact symptoms, burning during passing motion, blood in stool?

2) Sweat; is this generalized sweating all over the body or specific areas like scalp?

3) Odor; is the feces odor or sweat odor? And is this any specific odor like pungent or change all the time?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It feels very hot between my butt cheeks. It throbs it's so hot. That's where the sweat and odor are coming from - my rectum/between my butt cheeks.. There is no blood in my stool. The odor is constant because it's inflamed.

The most common cause is fungal / yeast infection at this place. You may try over the counter cream like Monistat for 2 weeks. If this does not give your relief, you may need oral anti yeast medicines by prescription.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No, this was not useful, I don't have a vaginal infection, monistat will not cure the inflammation I have in my RECTUM.