Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I've had fluid in my ear for about 2.5 months, after about 2

Customer Question
I've had fluid in my...
I've had fluid in my ear for about 2.5 months, after about 2 weeks a ringing in my ear started, then a heaviness in the ear followed by the outer ear being numb & then going into my face/right side of my head. I've had two rounds of antibiotics, 5 days on prednisone & finally went in 3 days ago to have a small hole placed in the ear drum to drain the ear with no symp***** *****ges. I had not been sick prior to any of this. Does this sound like symptoms related to the fluid in my ear or like something else is going on?
JA: How long have you been dealing with this issue? Any other skin concerns?
Customer: 2.5 months. No skin concerns
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
4/17/2017
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 7 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry you are having these symptoms.

that is too bad the hole in your ear drum didn't help

are you still having numbness and pain on one side of your head?

you may benefit from an MRI scan of the brain to check for trigeminial neuralgia

you could have inflammation of your TMJ joint which can put pressure on the facial nerve if you grind your teeth. this would cause pain in your jaw joint when you opened and close your mouth.

I have no pain. I have fluid in my ear, a ringing in my ear, my right ear is numb & I have some tingling & numbness on the right aside of my face. The symptoms have remained constant for 2 months.

have you tried to take daily allergy pills like allegra and benadryl?

you could have a mastoiditis infection which may take longer to clear up

you may need a brain MRI scan to look for this.

Someone had said that this tingling & numbness in the head could indicate MS. To me it seems that a more logically expksinatukn would be that it is related to whatever is going on with the ear. What does your expert opionion?
I have not done allergy medication but I have been doing Flonase nasal spray

yes, I agree, more likely to do with fluid in your ear, residual infection

sometimes you can get a fungal infection in your inner ear possibly if there was fluid in there before.

your doctors may want to try you on antifungal agents or antiviral agents which you haven't been on yet which could help.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you may have to scroll down to see the ratings area in blue

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Can fluid in the ear cause the tingling & numbing of the ear & head

in severe cases of fluid and infection in the ear or in the mastoid area, yes, it can cause tingling and numbness.

It has been 5 days since my a hole was placed in my ear drums, I still have the ringing in my ear, feeling of pressure, numbness of the ear, some tingling & numbness in the face. I feel like I've been drugged. I also have some odd sensations throughout my body. Can all of this be related to the fluid from my ear?

what are these "odd sensations"

Hard to explain. I wouldn't really say the feeling of weakness as I have all my strength & not numbness as I have feeling but along those lines.

do you have bad anxiety symptoms

bad anxiety symptoms can magnify small symptoms and make you very worried about them.

I have had anxiety about what is going on with my ear. The Dr I went to has said over & over that they don't sound like symptoms of fluid in your ear but that I do have fluid in my ear. He has me scared in thinking something serious is going on. I wanted your opinion to try & settle my nerves.

it sounds like your anxiety symptoms are getting out of control with worry here.

severe anxiety can cause you to have dizziness and headaches and pressure in your head.

you may benefit from treatment of your anxiety symptoms

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician