Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I was diagnosed with what they thought was viral meningitis…

I was diagnosed with what...
I was diagnosed with what they thought was viral meningitis about a week and a half ago. I spent three nights in the hospital on antibiotics and I am still having weakness and pain in my arms and legs is that normal? Or should I be concerned about something else going on?
4/11/2017
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

how did they diagnose it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They took a spinal tap. The csf mononuclear wbc was 80%. The csf neutrophils was 20%. The csf WBC was 1.3

It sounds more likely viral meningitis

is this what they told you?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yeah they said they thought it was viral menengitis
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just didn't know if the symptoms I am having a week after being released from the hospital is normal

OK.

Yes your symptoms are pretty consistent

Are they getting any worse?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I feel like the pain and weekness might be a little worse but I also have returned to work so maybe just overdoing it?

Ok

I would try to get a couple days off

is this possible?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How long does it generally take for the meningitis to be be gone from your system?

the symptoms might take a week or two

is this helpful?

just click send to reply

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My legs are now a little tingly as well. Is that normal?

No this is not normal

this means it is progressive

I would see a doctor today

is this helpful?

Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor