Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What is the best diet if you have diarreha? Eat and drink?

Customer Question
What is the best...

What is the best diet if you have diarreha? Eat and drink? Thanks very much

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

It's Saturday so no dr. 78 yr old Bob takes carbidopa/levidopa for Parkinsons. Usually is constipated. Fleet enema every 4 days BUT yesterday afternoon and this morning diarreha. We do the BRAT - banana, rice, apple sauce and white toast. Lots of water. Anything else?

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/1/2017
Doctor: Dr.Saleem, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

You need to replenish the salts lost in diarrhea with oral rehydration solution available over the counter. Continue with the BRAT diet and plenty of fluids.

Avoid sweet/ sugary juices as these can cause more fluid loss due to higher osmolality.

Drink at least 1 cup (240 milliliters) of liquid every time you have a loose bowel movement. Eat small meals throughout the day, instead of 3 big meals.

Eat some salty foods, such as pretzels, soup, and sports drinks.

Eat some high potassium foods, such as bananas, potatoes without the skin, and fruit juices.

Hope it was helpful.

I hope everything works out best for you.

Please click 5 stars visible on your screen for an excellent rating for my work .

You need to click 5 stars visible on your page to reward positive rating for my work.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards