Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am reovering from hepatitis and have a bad stomach do you…

Customer Question
I am reovering from...

I am reovering from hepatitis and have a bad stomach do you have a dr or nutritinist to help with my diet

Doctor's Assistant: How long has this been bothering you? Are you experiencing any vomiting or nausea?

2 months the liver dr said my liver is fine no vomiting or nausea i just cannot eat my regular diet i get cramps diarea or constipation i can eat potatoes and canned salmon no coffee or oils or regular veggies

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No i have been in excellent health the liver dr said i got a virus but overall i am better more strength less fatigue but the stomach is still very sesitive

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/22/2017
Doctor: Dr. K., MD replied 1 year ago
Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Diet tips for patients with hepatitis/liver disease
Doctor: Dr. K., MD replied 1 year ago
Eating foods from all food groups in healthy portions such as whole grains, lean proteins, low fat dairy, fruits, vegetables and healthy fats.
Eating foods with high fiber such as fresh fruits, vegetables, lentils, beans and whole grains are liver healthy foods. Fiber it up, it’s nature’s broom to help eliminate toxins from the body.
Eat a well balanced diet, but eat lean proteins from poultry, fish, and plant based proteins.
Limit red meat due to this is harder and takes longer for your system to break it down, plus it can contribute to bloating.
Avoid uncooked shellfish such as oysters and clams or other uncooked meats.
Limit foods and drinks that are high in sugar and salt.
Limit eating high fatty foods.
Limit eating fried or processed foods.
Stay within a healthy weight range because the liver can function better than if we’re over or under weight.
Eating smaller meals throughout the day is also better than large meals. Your liver has to work harder to break down high fat and larger meals. This will also help stabilize blood sugar, cravings, and the bloated, sleepy feeling that can come from eating larger meals.
It is best to limit foods that have a lot of sugar and high sodium (salt). High sodium foods and eating too much protein will make you retain fluid and can lead to excess toxins in your blood stream. Be careful not to limit your protein too much because it can result in a lack of certain amino acids that is essential for your body to function properly.
Drink plenty of pure water, filtered if possible. Drink at least 64ounces a day. Avoid Alcohol. Alcohol is like throwing gas on a fire with liver disease and increases damage.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i seem to have an irritated bowel i took some coffee and my bowels really hurt i have always been sensitive to coffee but this is much worse any advice with diet is colace a good idea
Doctor: Dr. K., MD replied 1 year ago
The diet advice is all listed above and coffee is to be avoided