Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

In 1969, a black student in a poor section of the south was…

Customer Question
In 1969, a black...

In 1969, a black student in a poor section of the south was diagnosed with "teta" by the school nurse. He was tired, malnourished, head sores, complained of headaches. It was determined to be "contagious". He returned to school a week later with purple ointment on his head sores. Can you tell me what he had? I am unable to find an illness called "teta" on line. Thank you.

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

Headache daily. slept alot. stomach problems might be due to hunger.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Probably fever.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
3/21/2017
Doctor: Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor

This student may have been suffering from tetanus, which is a bacterial infection that is quite contagious and was once quite common in poor areas where vaccinations may not have been readily available.