Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I was diagnosed with costochondritis a week ago after

Customer Question
I was diagnosed with...

I was diagnosed with costochondritis a week ago after working out. I have had it several timessage since being a kid. I'm 26 now. The pain is so bad I can't breathe, lift my arm, or pull myself up to sit. I can't take anti inflammatory escort or Tylenol due to allergies and ulcers. What do I do

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

Metoprolol for migraines Robaxin Prozac And I'm allergic to Tylenol and NSAID and steroids and a bunch of migraine meds like Tristan and dhe

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
3/21/2017
Doctor: Dr. Captain, Board Certified Physician replied 1 year ago
Dr. Captain
Dr. Captain, Board Certified Physician

Hello!

Welcome to the JustAnswer.com question/answer interface.

I am a Family Medicine doctor, board certified with active licenses and certification in Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology, as well as Integrative Medicine & Naturopathy, with advanced training in Neurology, Cardiovascular Medicine, Gastroenterology, Endocrinology, and Psychiatry. I am also well-trained in Functional Medicine. So far, 99% of the justanswer community of patients has found my answers helpful, and I have the honor of being the highest rated clinician on the site! I will do my best to win over your approval as well.

— For your review, here is my direct link with my current ratings: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-familydoctor/

— I have read your post and observations about your costochondritis. I'm so sorry! What an awful feeling, pain so bad you can't breathe! That sounds really horrible. I’m interested to hear a little more about what you've been experiencing, but first, I'm curious - For the purposes of the dialog here, would you prefer that I provide you with a direct, summary response to your post, or would you prefer a more back-and-forth approach, where there will be a series of more questions and more details clarified? There is no difference in charges for your preference. You can continue to ask questions and receive answers without additional charges.

— In case you were not aware, there is no charge for the time it takes for us to reach an answer that meets your satisfaction. If you’d like a quick answer, I’m more than happy to provide that. On the other hand, if you’d like a more detailed response, I generally try not to rush any answers, and I hope you will not feel rushed either.

- Either way, the goal is for your satisfaction, and I’ll do my best to take the appropriate time to help you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do not mind answering more questions.

Great! first of all - would you like me to list a review of all the basic options you have available to cover for pains consistent with costochondritis?

Here is a review of the basics, just to make sure the foundations are covered.

1- consider keeping a written journal of what is going on, what the experience is like. It doesn't have to be long or wordy, but it will be helpful (to you and to a healthcare provider that could review the journal later) to have information about the timing of the feelings, what makes it better or worse, if anything you're doing (or medications you're taking) effect it - either for better or worse, and what else might be going on (end of a work day, or spending long hours on your feet, feeling stressed out, just ran a block, etc.) Oftentimes, small details that are sometimes difficult to recall after the fact, can be vital to finding a way to treat the greater concerns. Plus, reviewing these kinds of things can help point out that things are getting better, and that is reassuring and helps with reduction of harmful stress hormones too.

2- consider increasing the amount of full body stretching and exercise that is included in a daily, regular routine. Even if that’s already part of the daily (or weekly) schedule, perhaps there are little bits that could be added? A few extra minutes here or there? Stretching in the shower, marching while you brush your teeth, sitting up straight more throughout the day, etc. Increases in exercise can not only lower blood pressure, but can also reduce internal stress and anxiety, and these may help improve the illness. There was a recent article that describes the health benefits of exercise very well. We in medicine sometimes like to think we know the human body better than nature, but truthfully, exercise is still almost always the best medicine. Here is the article, if you’re curious: http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/well/2013/12/11/exercise-as-potent-medicine/?_r=1

3- consider trying out different shoes. In-soles can sometimes help improve the support your foot and leg receives, and this can improve pain in some people. These have remarkable down-stream effects that are hard to suspect unless you read the data.

4- consider rolling your foot over a frozen 2-liter bottle. Ice can sometimes provide relief for painful feet.This will also help stretch tense muscles in the feet, so serves 2 purposes at the same time.

5- some people choose medications to help alleviate pain. Although I tend to view pain as important signal that your body is giving you that something is wrong or needs improvement (and therefore not something that you necessarily want to stop or turn off), some medications such as Tylenol and Ibuprofen are (generally) safe medications you can try at home, provided you are following the general guidelines of use, and there are no contraindications to you taking the medications. Over time, and when combined with the active stretching and exercises I refer to in #2, these medications have been shown to significantly improve range of motion, function, and quality of life.

6- The field of western medicine and medications are sometimes helpful, they are also sometimes not. I would recommend considering some alternative approaches to health . Although many doctors think that medicine is the "be-all" and "end-all" there are whole disciplines that are practiced throughout the world, even today, that don't view illness or treatment the same way, and they have many sick (and improving) patients, much like the Western world. Acupuncture, for example, has helped many people with anxiety and difficulty with blood pressure. Massage, Yoga, even improving nutrition can have very real, measurable effects on your health. Your local doctor is the best resource to help direct you to what would be most appropriate, but if you feel adventurous, the internet is always full of resources that can help guide you to more information, too.

consider adding a little extra de-stressing to the daily routine. Modern life is powerfully stressful, even when we aren't aware of it. Stress, even in small amounts, produces Cortisol in the body, and this can wreak havoc to the the system and a body’s natural internal ecosystem. We are built to tolerate small amounts of stress, once in a while, but not the kinds of stress that many normal people experience - every single day.

7- Meditation can be a tremendous resource for anxiety/pain relief. It has been a useful practice for thousands of years in the East, and millions find it helpful in their daily use even today. Meditation can mean different practices for different individuals. For some, it involves peaceful sitting and focused attention on breathing, without outside distraction, where someone can simply observe ones breathing, and monitor the racing thoughts that may come and go. This can be a way of teaching your body how to insert some degree of calm into your daily experience, and over time it can be a valuable lesson that becomes easier and easier to insert into your daily routine for regular relief. For some others, meditation comes in the form of a relaxing daily walk, where they can similarly distract themselves from daily stressors, and instead enjoy some peace and quiet, perhaps thinking calmly, or enjoying the natural environment around them. These days, there are countless resources available for help with discovering what type of meditation would be the best match for you.

8- Nutrition is a much underestimated source of trouble for us all these days. Did you know that after you eat a meal, your body’s sugar levels spike? This is true, of course, more so when meals are high in simple sugars, carbohydrates, fats, but also true of almost all meals. Once those sugars are processed, either by storage or use, that spike of increased levels of sugars falls very quickly, and can make us feel tired, without energy, even to the point of feeling depressed and hopeless. On the other hand, some foods can help us feel energized, excited/happy, even push us toward being positive and focused. There is a sizable body of literature that shows us the healthy, healing power of good nutrition, and just as much that warns us of the terrible effects of bad nutrition. Mst of us don't eat the foods we should to keep our immune systems optimally healthy. Eating a good serving of the national daily recommended foods (http://fnic.nal.usda.gov/dietary-guidance/dietary-reference-intakes/dri-tables) is essential. Without appropriate food, your body will "make do,” and can make a healthy immune system that much weaker.

9- Perhaps above all else, the basics of sleep and water can be the most needed, and most neglected, solutions. Almost irrespective of your daytime demands, and without regard to individual differences, we all need at LEAST 8 hours a night. This has been proven time and time again, in fact - especially - for the people who think they can do with less. if we are not getting that much, we are not only poorly arming ourselves to fight illnesses naturally, but we setting ourselves up for not only more prolonged, sometimes worse illness. Water is also a vital part of staying healthy. Someone who is having yellow urine during the day (except for the first of the day, that one can be yellowish), is most likely dehydrated, and also an easy set up for prolonged illness. Urine, after the first of the day, should be clear, like water. One should be drinking more and more water, until urine is clear. That’s a simple way to measure enough water intake. Simply put, water is very much like the oil of a car. No matter what else may be wrong, without the oil topped up, you’re bound to have troubles that are hard to move beyond.

In addition to the basics I've described here, you may want to ask your doctor about the role of neuroleptic, SSRI/tricyclic, and barbiturate or benzodiazepine medications for your specific pains. There are some medications that may help, which obviously I wouldn't be able to comment on, in my position here as an internet-based advisor.

with costochondritis, the use of antiinflammatories can't be undervalued. many patients find them very helpful with easing into the longer-term benefits of exercise and stretching

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
At this point I can't even stretch it's too painful to move. Despite not bring allowed by my GI doc to take anti inflammatories I've tried them but my pain has just gotten worse. I just don't know what to do. I'm afraid to go back to a doctor just to be told too bad so sad...

oh my! that is horrible!

Is medical use of marijuana legal where you are?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
but not something I would use

ok. are there methods of pain relief that are acceptable to you?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hey just wanted to let you know that my rib is most likely fractured right in a spot that's difficult to read on an x-ray. So the urgent care doctor wants to treat it as a fracture.

Oh no!! That must be so painful!

Family Physician, Doctor