Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I am a smoker and when I drink I smoke more. The drinking is

not the issue when I...
I am a smoker and when I drink I smoke more. The drinking is not the issue when I wake up i can't take a full breath. I have gone for an asthma test and it was negative. But one of my friends gave me his spare inhaler and it helps. I take a few short puffs and hold and release and cough a bit and within 30 min I can breathe a full breath
JA: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?
Customer: The minor cough has been there for a few years but the morning hard to breathe has only been a year maybe less. It's not consistent every time I drink heavy but it is starting to worry me.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I'm on birth control and I am also a social drug user. Pot or coke.
What is taking so long
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/20/2017
Dr. Scott, Doctor
Hi there
I am Dr Scott
Have you seen a doctor about this?
Is it mostly in the morning? Do you cough anything up?
I cough up phlegm it's usually grey or black in the morning that's every day. I have not gone to my family doctor because I thought it was asthma but they did the test and there was no difference in my breathing. But when I can't breath I don't cough anything up cuz I don't have the lung power to get it out. It feels like my lungs are too full of phlegm. That's why I think I can't get a full gulp of air. It's only in the past year this had been going on. It's not every morning but in a week I go thru it once at least
Do you have acid reflux?
it's mostly in the morning?
I have aside reflux. But I chalk that up to the users and my drinking. And it's only in the morning. Before I got my friends inhaler it would last for 2 hours. Of barely breathing coughing after I got his inhaler it's a half hour and 4 puffs fixes it

Have you tried antiacids?

In the morning when I'm having this problem? No I don't have aside reflux during the episode so I have never tried it

No you would have to take it at night before you lay down to control the acid overnight

It's not aside reflux. It's more I can't breath. Like my lungs are full of water or phlegm. Asid reflux makes my mouth water and yes it makes breathing hard. But in the morning it's a different feeling it's no mouth watering more something or someone on my chest sitting there

You need a chest x-ray.

Your doctor will also have to give you a prescription inhaler.

At night, you aspirate or inhale the acid reflux when you lay down which causes your symptoms in the morning.

Thank you I have taken a screen shot of your diagnosis. Let's see If it's right. It sounds right

Does that make sense?

You can try an antacid at night, however, you might need a stronger prescription medication to help control your symptoms.

I hope this helps!
Let me know if you have any additional questions.
We only get credit for positive feedback on customers we help.
Please take a moment to rate my services.
You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Dr. Scott, Doctor
It makes a bit of sense I can't see why asid reflux would make it hard to breathe but I'll ask and see what happens

Because the acid in your stomach irritates the airways

Dr. Captain
Dr. Captain, Physician
Phone call session started
Dr. Scott, Doctor