Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have been experiencing cold/flu/sinusitis symptoms off and…

Customer Question
I have been experiencing cold/flu/sinusitis...
I have been experiencing cold/flu/sinusitis symptoms off and on for almost two years (longest stretch not being sick = 34 days). I have gone to an ENT (6/16) who suggested surgery for an anotomical block which he says will help me breath better and things will drain more easily, but he warned that if my symptoms are caused by allergies, more allergens will enter through my nose, if I have the surgery.Onto the allergist/immunologist who did a scratch test (1/17) and found I have allergies to dust mites and grass. Bear in mind I have been taking Allegra, Claritin or Allegra D for 2+ years daily and using Flonase since 2007. I also rinse with a neti pot nightly.Last week, 3/9/17, I came down with what felt like a cold but it kept getting progressively worse with headaches, coughing, major fatigue and an itchy throat. I have been on Zithromax since 3/14/17 and the worst of my symptoms were today 3/16/17. My doctor sent me a message saying she thinks it's allergies...where should I go for a second opinion and if it is allergies, what more could I be doing?Thank you so much!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
3/17/2017
Doctor: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

do you use any nasal sprays?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Flonase (mentioned in original message)

what about singulair pills or astelin nasal spray?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No

I have had great success with singulair lately

Alternatively you could get a second opinion from another allergist but that would take time and be costly

I would just try the singulair

is this helpful?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you think allergies would cause such debilitating symptoms (I was in bed all day today and got such a bad throbbing headache I couldn't even move) ?

absolutely

allergies are like having an infection

the body knows no different

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. Is singular a spray? Also, the doctor just prescribed a new allergy medication- would there be any problem taking both?

No it isn't a spray

it is a pill

what is the new med he gave you?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Levocetirizine Dihydrochloride 5mg

OKay. Yes, they could be used together

I really like singulair

it is highly effective for resistant allergies. Is this helpful?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Somewhat

what else would you like to know?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Perhaps, I'd like to get to the bottom of my compromised immune system. If it is allergies, I don't understand why the allergist wasn't more adamant about starting the treatment with shots.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I work as a teacher and I had to be out this whole week. It is very distressing to have to be so sick and then also spend so much time and money trying to get to a solution.

shots are not for everyone

they are very intensive

if it were me, I would try singulair first

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This is the first time I've ever had chest symptoms. Usually it's all sinus/headache pain.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you have a financial interest in recommending Singulair?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your time, but I am not satisfied with this service.
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

The other expert has opted out.

There are several options for medicines in this situation to try to control the current symptoms. Certainly, the Singulair is an option. Another option would be the addition of other nasal sprays that work by different mechanisms, such as NasalCrom or Atrovent NS. In someone with more severe symptoms, then a short course of oral steroids, such as prednisone, would be an option.

Allergy desensitization shots also would be an option. The most common reasons are for someone with more severe or persistent symptoms. However, allergy shots will usually take months to work well, so the decision to use allergy shots is usually made independent of the decision of what to use to control the current symptoms.