Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Is Shingles contagious? No, my husband has a rash on one

Customer Question
Is Shingles contagious? JA: Have you...
Is Shingles contagious?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: No, my husband has a rash on one side of his lower back--we both have had the Shingles shot! He has been using a steroid ointment.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No!
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medical
2/11/2017
Doctor: Dr. Ravoof, Doctor replied 10 months ago
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor

Thanks you for the question.

If your question is, whether shingles can be transmitted from one person to another, then the answer is NO shingles cannot be transmitted to you, and is not contagious in this way.

However, a person having active shingles with rash, can transmit the Varicella zoster virus to another person who has never had chickenpox, through direct contact with the shingles rash.

Take care.

It is a privilege answering your question.

Thank you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please rate the answer with a positive rating of 5 stars, because this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for our time and work. A bonus will surely be appreciated and is recommended.

If you have follow-up questions you can ask them after the rating too.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

May you be happy, successful, and healthy.

Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor