Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My vitamin D level lab results came back as defficient. My…

My vitamin D level lab...
My vitamin D level lab results came back as defficient. My Gyno started me on a vitamin D3 supplement. 5000IU daily. Since beginning taking the supplement, I have a period of the day that I feel strange, almost nervous and jittery. Mind you was already having depression and occasional anxiety prior to starting D3 supplement. I would like another opinion on this. Can D3 cause increased anxiety, jittery feeling? I have even tried taking half the tablet but still the same results.
2/11/2017
Dr. Scott, Doctor
Hi there,
Wha time of the day do you take them?
Do you take them with food?
Do you take it with a full glass of water?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I take it after breakfast, usually between 8:15 & 8:45 AM. Yes I drink water when taking it. I also take in the AM, Wellbutrin 150SR and 0.25 mg Xanax. Those I take before breakfast. Other supplements taken after breakfast with my Vitamin D3, are MegaRed Krill and Vitamin C. Later on at 11:30, I take a B-Complex supplement.
I just started the D3 supplement this week. My Gyno says she's never heard anyone say it affects them like that, but I have read some information via internet that suggests otherwise. However, I want another professional opinion, not just "google" answers.
Let me look through some research
Dr. Scott, Doctor
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks. You can get back with me on it tomorrow, if you like.
I will continue to look tomorrow. It seems like you need to take magnesium with your vitamin D tablets. I will continue to look tomorrow for a dose of magnesium.

Surprisingly, there's no specific research about this topic. However, the people on Google state taking magnesium will help. Magnesium is a cofactor for about 200 to 300 different enzymes throughout the body. it might be one of the cofactors required for vitamin D use in the body. Low magnesium can cause you to feel jittery and even shaky. If I were you, I would start taking magnesium tablet with the vitamin D. Magnesium can cause diarrhea. You can take calcium to help improve your diarrhea. Another alternative would be to take 50,000 IU of vitamin D weekly instead of the daily vitamin D. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks. I do take mag oxide every evening around 5:00. I was told to take the vitamin D in am as it can be somewhat stimulating for some people. The magnesium is supposed to help with relaxation supposedly, hence taking in the evening. Wish there was more definitive reason for the vit D possibly making me feel this way.
I'm trying to overcome anxiety and depression, not make it worse. Oh well, thanks for researching.