Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

What are the symptoms for a vitamin d deficiency I am a 58

what are the symptoms for...
what are the symptoms for a vitamin d deficiency I am a 58 yr old female how much do I need daily? I think I have been deficient for a long time .
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking? Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I take Losartin, Gemfibrozil, and Citalopram? haven't been to a doctor and Have been realtively health although I am overweight
2/10/2017

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

I am writing you the answer. It may take 4-5 minutes.

Vitamin D deficiency many times do not give symptoms and thus be silent.

It can cause following symptoms;

Bone pain

Bone tenderness

Chronic muscle aches and pains.

The dose of Vitamin D is(###) ###-####IU (20-25 mcg) once daily with calcium supplements.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

is vitamin D3 the best? I have had some xrays at the chiropractor and it shows calcium deposits and some bone spurs on my spi ne and i am looking at my nutrition and deficiencies.
I have had some bone pain and chronic muscle aches!

Yes, vitamin D3 is best as it is absorbed easily. Calcium deposits and bone spurs are age related arthritis (termed degnerative arthritis).

Your symptoms are likely due to vitamin D deficiency.

with the vitamin d deficiency would you still only recommend 1000 IU's of vitamin D3 a day

Yes, this is the usual recommendation. You may get a blood test for vitamin D; if the deficiency is too significant; dose can be increased up to 10-50 thousand units.

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Thank uou

I am sorry, I cannot phone you. We can chat here.

The vitamin D dose is 800-1,000 IU per day.

The "ideal" dose of vitamin D is determined by testing the individual's 25OHD level. A normal level of vitamin D is defined as a 25OHD concentration greater than 30 ng/mL (75 nmol/L). In people whose 25OHD is 20 to 30 ng/mL (50 to 75 nmol/L), treatment advised is 800 to 1000 international units of vitamin D3 by mouth daily. In people whose 25OHD is less than 20 ng/mL (50 nmol/L), treatment is 50,000 international units of vitamin D2 or D3 by mouth per week for six to eight weeks, and then 800 to 1000 international units of vitamin D3 daily thereafter.

The main reasons for low levels of vitamin D are:

1) Lack of vitamin D in the diet, often in conjunction with inadequate sun exposure; not consume enough vitamin D rich foods, and absorption may be limited.

2) Inability to absorb vitamin D from the intestines; celiac disease, Crohn's disease, and cystic fibrosis or surgery of the intestine.

3) Inability to process vitamin D due to kidney or liver disease

4) Medications - Some drugs such as Dilantin, phenobarbital, and rifampin may interfere the absorption of Vitamin D from the intestines.

A number of factors influence a person's vitamin D levels.Figuring out all the factors that can affect vitamin D level is not easy. Body makes vitamin D when sunlight hits the skin. We also get the vitamin from food (mainly because it's been added; few foods are natural sources of vitamin D) or by taking a supplement.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited and paid for my work. Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future. This additional service offer can be used for- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you. Thank you.
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor