Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What are the symptoms for a vitamin D deficiency?

Vitamin D deficiency many times do not give symptoms and thus be silent.

It can cause following symptoms;

1. Bone pain
  2. Bone tenderness
  3. Chronic muscle aches and pains.
Read full interaction below »

JACustomer:

What are the symptoms for a vitamin d deficiency? I am a 58 yr old female. How much do I need daily? I think I have been deficient for a long time.

2/10/2017

Expert:

Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking? Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

JACustomer:

I take Losartin, Gemfibrozil, and Citalopram? Haven't been to a doctor and have been relatively healthy although I am overweight.

Expert:

It can cause following symptoms;

1. Bone pain
  2. Bone tenderness
  3. Chronic muscle aches and pains.

The dose of Vitamin D is 8 0 0 - 1 0 0 0 IU (20-25 mcg) once daily with calcium supplements.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

JACustomer:
Is vitamin D3 the best?

I have had some x-rays at the chiropractor and it shows calcium deposits and some bone spurs on my spine and I am looking at my nutrition and deficiencies.

I have had some bone pain and chronic muscle aches!

Expert:

Yes, vitamin D3 is best as it is absorbed easily. Calcium deposits and bone spurs are age related arthritis (termed degenerative arthritis).

Your symptoms are likely due to vitamin D deficiency.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

JACustomer:

So, with the vitamin d deficiency, would you still only recommend 1000 IU's of vitamin D3 a day?

Expert:

Yes, this is the usual recommendation. You may get a blood test for vitamin D; if the deficiency is too significant; dose can be increased up to 10-50 thousand units.

Expert:

The vitamin D dose is 800-1,000 IU per day.

The "ideal" dose of vitamin D is determined by testing the individual's 25OHD level. A normal level of vitamin D is defined as a 25OHD concentration greater than 30 ng/mL (75 nmol/L). In people whose 25OHD is 20 to 30 ng/mL (50 to 75 nmol/L), treatment advised is 800 to 1000 international units of vitamin D3 by mouth daily. In people whose 25OHD is less than 20 ng/mL (50 nmol/L), treatment is 50,000 international units of vitamin D2 or D3 by mouth per week for six to eight weeks, and then 800 to 1000 international units of vitamin D3 daily thereafter.

The main reasons for low levels of vitamin D are:

1) Lack of vitamin D in the diet, often in conjunction with inadequate sun exposure; not consume enough vitamin D rich foods, and absorption may be limited.

2) Inability to absorb vitamin D from the intestines; celiac disease, Crohn's disease, and cystic fibrosis or surgery of the intestine.

3) Inability to process vitamin D due to kidney or liver disease

4) Medications - Some drugs such as Dilantin, phenobarbital, and rifampin may interfere the absorption of Vitamin D from the intestines.

A number of factors influence a person's vitamin D levels.Figuring out all the factors that can affect vitamin D level is not easy. Body makes vitamin D when sunlight hits the skin. We also get the vitamin from food (mainly because it's been added; few foods are natural sources of vitamin D) or by taking a supplement.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor