Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have an enlarged prostate and I take tamsulosin for it.

I have an enlarged...

I have an enlarged prostate and I take tamsulosin for it. I'm on holiday in Tenerife and as I was peeing before going to bed at the end blood was coming out ?

Doctor's Assistant: In general, how has your health been lately?

Ok I had a blood test 2 weeks ago for my prostate and it was ok. I do have stable angina. I have been doing more exercise whilst on holiday . I've been brisk waking for an hour every morning for 13 days now.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not really, I take beta blockers, nitrate pills and an aspirin every day for my heart condition Ok

1/15/2017
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

Any history of smoking?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have never smoked

This is most likely a benign cause

The vast majority of these cases are benign

In your case, it is probably from the prostate

I would get into a urologist though

You will need an look into the bladder with a scope called a cystoscopy

You also need a test right now to rule out infection

Is this helpful?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
As I'm on holiday for the next 5 weeks is this something that will go away or if it needs investigation can it wait till I get home

If it persists you need to be seen

This is because it could be an infection

If it goes away, get seen when you get back

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a 5 star rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, in the meantime is there anything I should do like drinking more water?

That will help. Yes.

If you are on any blood thinners like aspirin those should be stopped

If that is safe for you that is

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've just been to the toilet again and there is no blood

Ok good.

Keep an eye on it.
if it stays away just get seen when you get home

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How often does it need to appear before I need to go to a Spanish hospital?

consistently over 24 hours

or signs of infection like pain, fever, etc

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I certainly don't have pain or fever although when finishing urinating sometimes there can be a burning feeling. This feeling usually isn't present if I have a full bladder

That could be a sign of infection

If that persists go in

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Would I go to a hospital or just the local clinic
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Where I'd see a general practitioner

Local clinic would be fine

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thanks

welcome :)

keep me posted on how it goes

Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor