Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

How would you define the word "few"? As in that the MRI

Customer Question
How would you define the...
How would you define the word "few"? As in that the MRI report stated a "few tiny cyst on pancreas"? Less than 5?Are these life threatening issues with the cyst? I am worried and scared. All the doctors keep telling me is "you will be fine".Is this anything to lose sleep over?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
1/11/2017
Doctor: Dr Uzair, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is Uzair.
I am reviewing your post and will get back to your reply momentarily.

There is no range set for the word 'few'. When a radiologist uses the word 'few' and does not count the cysts it means that the number was too less, insignificant and not alarming.

I would suggest you to not loose sleep over anything unless your doctor is not worried.

Hope this helps.

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on the top of this screen.

Regards.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you see patients with these cyst?Whats the possibility of these cysts resolving on a year? Do they come and go?What has been your experiences with people who have this same kind of issue?

No, the cysts do not come and go. They can resolve or stay the same, they need to be kept under observation by annual CT scans to look for any changes. Yes, I do see these patients in my practice. Reassurance and watchful waiting is what we do in such cases.

Regards.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How often in your experience do they resolve within a year?What are the odds of them staying the same indefinitely?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How often do you see changes?

You will need to consult your hepatobiliary surgeon or gastroenterologist to get all these queries answered, since, the answers vary from case to case, type of cysts, their serology, growth patterns, detailed history of the patient etc are all the variables that help generating an answer. There is no percentage or statistics that I can give you unless details are available, details that only your health care provider can know and can not be communicated on a website.

Regards.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Based on your experience in your practice, what are the outcomes of these situations?

In my experience, benign pancreatic cysts stay benign 90 percent of the times and if the serology is negative for malignancy I usually want my patients to get a CT scan done every year and follow up with their reports.

Regards.

Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor