Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS
23101880

For the past week or so I have had lower pain

Customer Question

Hi, for the past week or so I have had lower pain pain/discomfort. It has gotten worse and is affecting my sleep at night, I toss and turn and it wakes me up. No matter what I do - walk, sit, lie down, it's feels uncomfortable. About 10th of December I had bad stomach cramps to the point of nearly going to the emergency department and then they went away. I'm not sure if that's related to the back pain but I've had slight cramps occassionally since.I've also had a bit of nausea (no vomiting) and the last few days have been slightly off food. I've had excess wind aswell for the past couple of weeks.I'm really worried about the back discomfort, I've taken Ibuprofen and a muscle relaxer (been on for 1 day) and it hasn't done anything. I don't recall straining/pulling a muscle in my back, I do have an 18 month old and a 3yr old who I pick up regularly but like I said I don't recall hurting it.I'm terrified it might be something serious like a spinal tumour???I'm a 30yr old female.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Saleem replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Sorry to hear about that. Do you feel any pain in urination too ? Any pain in flanks ? Does the pain radiate to your legs ? How long it has been now

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No pain in urination.
Yes noticed today a slight cramp in the flanks.
No it doesn't radiate to my legs.
The back pain/discomfort has been about 2 weeks. I've had sciatic nerve pain for the past 6 months or so but that has eased and now I'm experiencing a constant lower back discomfort.

Have you had any MRI or X rays done?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I had a back x-ray done about 3yrs ago as a routine chiropractic appointment but nothing since.

I will advise you to get an MRI done for checking on the spine and vertebra. History of sciatica also points towards a chance of nerve pain. Take plenty of fluids just to be safe with kidney issues. It can be related to kidneys too . You can try Tablet gabapentin with tab naproxen for back pain, it will definitely improve. A scan is however a must do if it doesnot get better with these medications.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok thank you. An MRI is a very expensive procedure in New Zealand so it may be hard to get one of these done, I would need a referral and will have to pay up to $1000 possibly more to get this done.I will try and get one done. Do you think there is a slight chance (based on my symptoms) that I could have a spinal tumour?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Should I take those medications you recommend rather than Ibprofen and muscle relaxer?

If you think its more towards flanks and not in the centre , if its pulsating its most probably kidneys. If central lower back with constant agonizing pain then its most probably because of vertebra compressing nerve roots . Childbirth in women can lead to issues of lower back too.

Do you have any more queries

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I've had blood tests for my kidneys and they are fine. I think it is more central/lower back then flanks, I wouldn't describe it as an agonizing pain, more of a annoying discomfort that won't go away.

Yeah it seemms more related to the nerve roots. You can try the medications i advised along with giving your back bit of rest. Topical massage with ibuprofen gel is also helpful.

I hope it was helpful , please reward with a 5 stars rating for my service.Happy to take any more queries.

I would like to know if there is something you are not convinced about

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm still concerned about spinal cancer. My sore back along with other symptoms - loss of appetite, stomach cramping, excess wind worries me. If I just had a sore back and no other symptoms I would be happy with a diagnosis of issue with nerve roots. I just want to know specifically if it could be spinal cancer?

Thats what i am saying any growth like cancer or a slipped disc can cause nerve compression .nerves exit from between vertebra so any deformity in vertebra can cause that. An MRI will help reach diagnosis

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Would an x-ray be sufficient to diagnose too?

It can give us idea about vertebra only but not the spinal cordvor nerves. Its a good idea to get an xray done first

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
But it would show up a tumour if there was one?

Yeah it would give an idea of abbormal growth if its bony one. Soft spinal cord tumours need an MRI