Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor
Experience:  Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.
239748

My daughter is 6 months old and has terrible excema and is

Customer Question

My daughter is 6 months old and has terrible excema and is deathly allergic to egg whites. I don't know if the 2 are related. But she is never ever comfortable! She cries for hours, itches all day, and hydrocortisone treatments only work when we slather her with it, which is so unhealthy! We don't sleep anymore! Any ideas please?
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Does anything in particular seem to make the itch better or worse?
Customer: Since a month after she was born. They thought she had viral meningitis so just to be safe, they treated her with strong antibiotics. Turns out she was fine, thank God, but since then. Only cortisone offers some relief
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I'm not sure. My first child has no allergies
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 7 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about the severe allergies that your daughter has.

At 6 months, egg allergy is unlikely to produce these symptoms, as the child is not consuming eggs.

Cow milk allergy is certainly a possibility though, and a trial of soy milk may be useful in this situation.

I would recommend getting skin / blood tests for other allergens, and then trying to eliminate all environmental allergens as well.

It may be helpful to consult an allergy specialist for this.

Finally, using higher potency steroids, and a short course of oral steroids maybe needed to control the symptoms, along with long-term use of oral antiallergic medicine like cetirizine so that her symptoms are controlled,

Warm regards