Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have been taking fluconazole oral rinse and swallow for 6

days now and still have...
I have been taking fluconazole oral rinse and swallow for 6 days now and still have white tongue. Could anxiety make the meds not work or is thereally a bigger problem?
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?
Customer: For about 6 weeks or so. When I get really stressed out seems to get worse.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I had oral sex with a unknowen girl early Oct. But have taken oraquick test at 6 8 9 and 12 weeks. All negative.
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/11/2017
Dr. Scott, Doctor
Hi there,
I am Dr. Scott - it is my pleasure to assist you today.
Please give me a minute to review your question and type up an answer.

When were you diagnosed and started on fluconazole?

Did you try nystatin?

What other medical problems do you have?

I just got the fluconazole last Thursday 6 days ago. No other meds. Blood pressure propranolol. I have a cyst on my back the doctor said was either a limpoma or a detached muscle. Doesn't hurt to touch at all but I do have dicomfert from it. I have bad anxiety that something bad is wrong.

Did you get routine blood work recently?

No I have not.
Do you think I should have?

Oral candidiasis, also called thrush, is the most common fungal infection in humans.
Risk factors associated with thrush include immunocompromise, particularly HIV infection, corticosteroid use, antibiotic use, nutritional deficiencies, denture use, and extremes of age.
Oral candidiasis most often presents as thrush (acute pseudomembranous candidiasis).
Signs and symptoms associated with thrush include oral discomfort and the development of whitish plaques on the tongue or oral mucosa.

I would highly recommend seeing your doctor again and get blood work for endocrine disease, blood counts, electrolytes, kidney function, and liver function.

I would continue the same treatment and get a prescription for nystatin.

If it does not improve in 10 days total of fluconazole, I would switch to nystatin.

I hope this helps!
Let me know if you have any additional questions.
We only get credit for positive feedback on customers we help.
Please take a moment to rate my services.
You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.
Dr. Scott, Doctor
Have you delta with this much?

Yes, it is the most common fungal infection in humans

Common in people with oral steroids, diabetics, and people on antibiotics.

I did take both about 3 months ago.

That is most likely the cause.

I had the oral sex moment in early Oct.
Then I got sore throat. I went to the Dr. and he give me steroid and antibiotics. Then shortly after that I noticed the white tongue. He then give me a 3 day pill that didn't work. I then tried all the home remedies that didn't really work. So then asked the dr again and he give me this fluconazole oral rinse and swallow. Just still here.I can't stop thinking about it.It doesn't hurt just dry always.

You should try nystatin.

If that does not work, you will need to go back to fluconazole but a pill form at a higher dose.

Do you think I should be taking probiotics?
It can take some time to clear then?

Yes it will take a lot of time to clear.

You should start high dose probiotics.

What is high dose? I have 10 billion rt now

Thats good

Is it contagious from deep kissing?

No.

Do you still think I need blood work?

If I were you, I would get blood work.

I have to step away from the computer.

Please leave all of your concerns and questions and I'll get back to you.

I will get the blood work done. Should I get tested for std also? It was oral sex. I have not done anything at all since.
What anabiotic were you treated with? Chlamydia can be an oral infection
Cefdinir 300 mg
What other questions do you have for me?
I think you should see your doctor again and get routine screening blood work. You should get nystatin swish and swallow. Continue the probiotic.
I had my blood work done. All come back good. He said nothing concerning with that. I did not get tested for stds. I did take another oraquick test 14 weeks. Negative.
Still white tongue. Should I get std test?

It would not be a bad idea.

This is what the research states.

Gonococcal infection of the pharynx is usually acquired by oral sexual exposure. Based on studies of women presenting to sexually transmitted infection (STI) clinics, the prevalence of pharyngeal gonorrhea has been estimated at two to six percent. In a study of over 14,000 men who presented to STI clinics in the United States, eight percent tested positive for pharyngeal gonococcal infection. The majority of oropharyngeal infections with N. gonorrhoeae are asymptomatic, although sore throat, pharyngeal exudates, and/or cervical lymphadenitis are present in some cases. In a study of 192 men and women seeking care for sore throat in a general medicine setting, one percent overall had a positive throat culture for N. gonorrhoeae.

Chlamydia is not thought to be an important cause of pharyngitis. However, Chlamydia has been detected in the pharynx using nucleic acid amplified testing, and some investigators postulate that this site serves as a reservoir of infection

I was tested for stds. They all come back negative. The Herpies one was .91 and still said Negative but other places show different. Should I be concerned. This was 103 days after exposer to oral.
Dr. Scott, Doctor