Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I was spraying some WD 40 on a locked mechanism and the wind

Customer Question

I was spraying some WD 40 on a locked mechanism and the wind blew and I might have inhale a small bit. I was outside. Is there anything I should do?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: No Just happened
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Take a blood pressure medication That is about it
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: No No dizziness
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Captain replied 9 months ago.

Hello!

Welcome to the JustAnswer.com question/answer interface.

I am a Family Medicine doctor, board certified with active licenses and certification in Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology, as well as Integrative Medicine & Naturopathy, with advanced training in Neurology, Cardiovascular Medicine, Gastroenterology, Endocrinology, and Psychiatry. I am also well-trained in Functional Medicine. For your review, here is my direct link with my current ratings: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-familydoctor/

I have read your post and observations about the inhalation of WD40. I will first provide a summary answer to your question, AND, if you would prefer some additional back-and-forth, with additional questions and more details clarified, I'm more than happy to stay around with you, free of any additional cost to you. You can continue to ask questions and receive answers without additional charges.

Our goal here is for your satisfaction, and I’ll do my best to take the appropriate time to help you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok

While certainly healthy to inhale, WD40 inhalations, in small, limited-time quantities, pose minimal urgent risk of acute illness. Provided you don't already have difficulty breathing, fast breathing, or shortness of breath, or difficulty achieving a full breath of air comfortably, there is nothing severe to worry about .

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The wind shifted a bit while I was spraying so it might have gotten into my right nostril but I was outside doing it.

if you find yourself with fever, chills, sweats, trouble breathing, racing breaths, wheezing, unable to take deep breaths, or any similar changes in breathing over the next 1-2 days, I would recommend following up with a primary care doctor. If not, you can rest assured that you'll be fine, and you have done no damage.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Should I take anything for this?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Should I drink a lot of water to maybe flush this?

It may help to take a shower, during which you could wash out your nose and mouth. Extra water is always a good idea to help flush the system of contaminants. I wouldn't recommend any other medications.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Should I go get some Listerine and gargle with that or a nose saline spray or am my being overly concerned?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello?

I am here. we must have become disconnected momentarily

I don't think you need any listerine or nose saline. I think a shower with water is sufficient. That said, a nose spray with saline will not hurt. If you're worried, that may help you feel better.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok so would I be wise to use a saline spray and perhaps get some listerine to gargle or am I overreacting?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok... so in essence drink water, take a shower and wash out my nose and throat and calm down. Do I have this correct...the wind just gusted and blew it in my face while I was spraying so I got scared.

You are not overreacting... you would be reacting to your intense anxiety, but they are all safe treatment options, so if you think that will help you more, go for it :) You are correct. There is nearly no damage at all to be concerned about.