Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

QUESTION}

Customer Question

QUESTION}
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 6 months ago.

I am sorry, but no question came through the system.

What question do you have?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I woke up dizzy, pain on my left side of my chest and my hands have been getting num at night for the past 3 week, also I get very short of breath when I am eating any solid foods for the past month

Is the dizziness a sensation of spinning or a sensation of lightheadedness?

Have you tried any medicines to help ease these symptoms?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No I dont know anything about medicines, I never take anythings As I am an overall healthy person I rarely get any tyoe of symtoms, 1st when I got up it was a spinning sensation later I got up to get something to drink and is not as bad as the beginign but still feel lightheaded

Acute dizziness that is felt as a spinning sensation is most often from a viral infection affecting the inner ear. It is also possible that the dizziness that is both a spinning sensation and lightheadedness may be related to low fluid status, which can be due to many different issues. Certainly, a viral infection can also cause fluid status to be low, but it also could be related to low oral intake because of the shortness of breath when eating.

The chest/arm symptoms and the shortness of breath when eating is most likely related to acid reflux, also called gastroesophageal reflux disease, or GERD. There are a number of other conditions that can affect the muscles of swallowing, but they are much less common than GERD.

Ultimately, it would require a proper evaluation to make a specific diagnosis, but another option would be to try certain home interventions to see if the symptoms will ease. For the dizziness, it would be important to increase the amount of fluid intake, even if resumption of normal amounts of solid food waits for improvement in symptoms. The best fluid would be liquids that also contain electrolytes, such as fruit juices or sports drinks. For the spinning sensation, it also can help to take meclizine, which is available over the counter, marketed for motion sickness, but will also help a spinning sensation from various causes. It also would be reasonable to take a medicine to suppress stomach acid, such as omeprazole/Prilosec. Prilosec is the brand name, but the generic omeprazole will usually be cheaper, and both are available over the counter.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.