Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

QUESTION}

Customer Question
QUESTION}
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medical
1/10/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 10 months ago

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

What is your question?

What could be the cause of my loss of grip strength and the pain in my hand? Should I get a DR. To check it out? My wife is telling me when I squeeze her fingerson the the difference is extremely noticeable. I just know there should not be pain when I make a fist.

A pinched nerve in the neck can be responsible for the loss of grip strength. This can be diagnosed by MRI of neck and electromyography and nerve conduction velocity study.

A neuropathy may be the other reason for it. Following are the causes of neuropathy;

1) Diabetes

2) An underactive thyroid gland

3) Excessive use of alcohol

4) Thiamine deficiency

5) Vitamin B 12 deficiency (pernicious anemia)

6) Vitamin B 6 (pyridoxine) taken in excessive amounts

7) Drugs, medications, herbs

8) Autoimmune diseases

9) Heavy metals such as lead and mercury.

Following investigations are done;

1) Electromyography/nerve conduction studies (EMG/NCS)

2) MRI of the spine and brain

3) blood glucose and glycosylated hemoglobin

4) serum B12 level with methylmalonic acid (with or without homocysteine),

5) serum protein electrophoresis

6) Anti-nuclear antibody

7) Lyme testing

8) Rheumatoid factor

9) Sjogren's syndrome testing (Anti-Ro, Anti-La Antibodies).

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor