Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I HAVE A SWOLLEN LEFT RIB WITH A SMALL MOVEABLE CYSTY AT THE

Customer Question
BOTTOM JA: Any recent injuries? How...
I HAVE A SWOLLEN LEFT RIB WITH A SMALL MOVEABLE CYSTY AT THE BOTTOM
JA: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?
Customer: 3 months
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have copd but not smoking now
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
1/10/2017
Doctor: Dr. Scott, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr. Scott, Doctor
Hi there,
Welcome to JustAnswer.
What questions can I answer for you?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
MY LEFT RIB IS SWOLLEN AND IT HAS A SMALL CYST AT THE BOTTOM. The cyst is small
Do you have a picture you can share?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
HOW DO I TAKE A PICTURE AND SEND IT
Do you have a way to take a picture? If so you can use the paperclip icon to upload it
When did you first notice this?
Are you having a lot of pain?
What is bothering you more - the cyst or the swelling?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I
Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 1 year ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician

Hi

I am a board certified doctor.

This needs exam and x ray to start

Have you had that?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
NO

OK Just from the picture, this might be a bony tumor.

It might be muscle deterioration around the rib.

Those are some possibilities.

X ray is your next step, probably a visit to an orthopedist.

Please click a positive rating on the rating scale [we are paid on the basis of positive ratings] and be sure to let me know if you have finished with any questions.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I ALSO HAVE DJS IS IT CANCER

It could be either a benign lump, or a tumor.

No way to say without exam and x ray.

Show this to your primary care doctor.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the cyst does not hurt worried about swelling

All the more reason for an exam.

This can not be diagnosed without exam and x ray, maybe ultrasound, which would show a cyst, fatty tumor, etc.

I would do this as soon as you can.

DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician