Dr. Scott, Doctor
Experience:  Physician
96592888

Second opinion] I recently had a chest infection and had

Customer Question

Second opinion] Hi,
I recently had a chest infection and had antibiotics to get rid of it, after a week or so I then developed a red rash on the underside of my penis going down to my scrotum, my penis itself is also red, my scrotum is also a darkish colour and extremely itchy. Ive had a little discharge but it doesn't hurt when I urinate. I recently went to a sexual health clinic and got blood and urine testing which came back normal and they said it was thrush, they prescribed me clotrimazole it helped a little bit but its been well over a month now and its still there,
please help
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 9 months ago.
Hi there,
How old are you?
Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?
This sounds like jock itch which is a fungal infection of the skin of the groin or inner thighs, and is commonly known as Tinea cruris.
If I were you, I would try a different antifungal cream. You should use the antifungal cream for at least 14 days as prescribed in the bottle. Most of them or twice a day. If you file different antifungal cream, you should consider topical steroid cream with oral antifungal medication
You should also apply baby powder which will decrease the amount of friction and hopefully improve the itch. Zyrtec is an anti-histaminethat comes in a topical or cream solution. It is very good for itching. You can apply that to the areas that itch.
In addition, you should try to avoid wearing tight fitting clothes in participating in sports or physical activity that can increase perspiration in that area.