Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

If you have been diagnosed with herpes and your taking

Customer Question

If you have been diagnosed with herpes and your taking medications for it is it safe to go unprotecred if you have just one other partner if your not having any flear ups
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No but I am taken meds for diabetes
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 7 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Well the thing with herpes is that there is STILL a chance of the virus being shed EVEN if you dont have active lesions. The chance is low to be sure, but it is present nonetheless. This is known as asymptomatic transmission. It is estimated that you may be shedding 14% of the days when you DONT have symptoms. So this is why you should NOT go for unprotected sexual intercourse as there is always a chance of the virus being transmitted even if you are not in the midst of a flareup or even if you are on medication. It is better to use protection while having sexual intercourse even in your situation.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating