Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

I've been constipated for three weeks after a surgical

Customer Question

I've been constipated for three weeks after a surgical procedure and took Norco for 6 days post surgery. I haven't had a normal bowel movement since. I have done a glycerin suppository, and recently finished an enema that produced lots of liquid and mucus but not many bowels. What should be my next step?
JA: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?
Customer: constipation
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: uterine polyp removed on dec 16
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 7 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

High fiber intake (lot of vegetable and fruits), exercises, walking and plenty of fluids always are part of the management of the constipation. People who do not respond to this may try OTC laxative. If this is inadequate, are advised to take the following medications by prescription;

1) Polyethylene glycol 3350 (Miralax)

2) Lactulose

3) Tegaserod (Zelnorm)

These agents are proven for their effectiveness at improving stool frequency and consistency in patients with chronic constipation.

The other helpful agents are;

a) Lubiprostone

b) Linaclotide.

Following measures can be helpful;

1) Increased fluids

2) Prune juice and dried plums

3) Increased fiber; prepration like Benfiber can be tried.

4) An herbal tea, "Smooth Move," have been found to have good result in moving the bowel.

5) Toilet after meals; Toileting 15 to 30 minutes after eating makes use of the gastrocolic reflex. The gastrocolie reflex results in propagating spikes in the colon and rectum within a half an hour after a meal. When we eat, our stomach distends and this sends reflex signals to the large intestines (colon) facilitating for their movements. If one utilizes next half hour of meal, for toilet, the stool elimination time is decreased.

6) Increase in exercise

7) Stimulant laxatives stimulate intestinal motility and increase intestinal secretion. They are anthraquinones (cascara, aloe, and senna) and diphenylmethanes (bisacodyl, sodium picosulfate, phenolphthalein).

8) Avoidance of stress

9) Wheat bran, 20 gms per day can decrease the rectal transit time

10) Vegetables,

11) Fruits (especially dried fruits)

12) Cereals like whole wheat, bran or oatmeal

13) Celery

14) Grainy breads, such as whole wheat, rye or pumpernickel

15) Legumes, such as chickpeas, baked beans and lima beans

16) You can try ground flaxseed sprinkled on salads, cooked vegetables, and cereals.

Food which cause constipation and should be avoided are;

Ice cream

Cheese

Meat / Red meat

Chips, cookies and pizza

Pastries

Foods that contain white flour

Pastas

Junk food or fast food

Banana

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited and paid for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.