Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

For the last three hours I feel an impulsive pain in my toes

Customer Question

Hi, for the last three hours I feel an impulsive pain in my toes in the left foot. The pain lasts for a second and comes every 1 to two minutes
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: It started 3 hours ago, and it is still consistent every two to three minutes. and cant figure out what makes it go away
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have high blood pressure that I take Amlodopine for it other than that nothing I can think of
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 8 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Can i ask do you have any swelling? Any redness or change in temperature of the toes? Any numbness, burning or tingling?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No swelling, No redness, no numbness or tingling, no temperature change, but slight tingling

Thanks for the additional information, let me just write down an answer for you and ill get back to you in a few mins. If you get a phone call request, please ignore it as that is an automated site response. Thanks!

Well from what you are describing there can be a couple of conditions which can cause this sort of pain. The first one is that you could be having this pain because of the muscles in the feet, muscle spasms can cause intermittent pain which can sometimes worsen on movement. This commonly occurs due to dehydration or electrolyte imbalances. That is why drinking additional plain water and using electrolyte rich fluids would be useful. In addition try using OTC anti inflammatory medications like motrin or aleve which should be helpful as well. If that doesnt help then using muscle relaxants like flexeril or tinazidine would be helpful as well.

Another cause of this could be associated with peripheral arterial disease in which there is narrowing of the arteries of the legs due to deposition of cholesterol and other debris. This would be diagnosed on a clinical examination and a doppler ultrasound of the legs. Once diganosed the treatment can be with medications like plavix etc.

Lastly this can be due to a pinched nerve in the foot or even in the leg. A pinched nerve can cause sharp shooting or stabbing sort of pain. This would require a NCS/EMG test to be done if the pain is persistent and this would then be treated with steroid injections, medications and in some cases surgery.

I would suggest that you try the above measures and see if they help and if they dont help within the next 24 hours then contact your doctor.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have a question, I was charged for GBP 3 which I agreed to, but then was charged GBP 26 which I did not agree to.
Why is that?

We the doctors DONT control teh payments at all, we are employed by the site JUST to answer questions and help you. The payments are entirely the domain of customer services and you can contact them in this regard.