Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

Why would a person have back and leg pain? No injury, have

Customer Question

Why would a person have back and leg pain?
JA: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: No injury, have been doing same routine, I have exercise d
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have diabetic neuropathy, I have done routine housework, I have exercised three times this week ( I rode the bicycle for 30 minutes). I had a brother that had guillan Barre about four years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Subbanna MD replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing and treating all neurological & health conditions and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

There are many different causes for back and leg pain. I will discuss in more detail and first let me try to gather some additional information in this regard.

1 ) For how long are you having these symptoms?

2) Any numbness or tingling (pins and needle feeling) in the legs? How is the neuropathy currently? Is it stable?

3) How severe is the pain?

4) Any treatments tried so far?

Best Regards!

Hi, have you received the questions I have posted above? I hope you are not encountering any technical glitches to access this site properly. If you require more time it is perfectly fine. Please take your time and reply to the above posted questions when your time permits & when you can, and I will get back to you at the earliest with my diagnosis & treatment recommendations related to your concerns about the pain in the back & legs.

Best Regards!

Hi, I had earlier asked few questions above so that I can gather additional information related to your health concerns about the pain in the back & legs. It is possible you are encountering some technical glitches to access this site properly or you may be busy now and not in a position to reply, so what I will do is post an initial answer here based on the amount of information I have received through your initial question here, please go through it when your time permits & when you can, and please get back to me if you want to discuss this further.

Please see the back and leg pain can be due to multiple reasons as listed below;

Arthritis in the spine

Disc problems in the spine

Spinal stenosis

Other types of structural problems in the spine

Osteopenia or osteoporosis

Pinched spinal nerves

Sciatica or sciatic neuropathy

Myopathy (primary muscle conditions in the back & legs)

Rheumatological conditions affecting the spine & the legs

Circulation problems in the legs etc

As you see there are various conditions that can cause pain in the back and legs and you need a thorough clinical examination followed by certain relevant investigations (like an MRI scan of the lower back/spine, a nerve & muscle test called as EMG/Nerve conduction test, an Ultrasound test of the legs etc) and this thorough and methodical approach can help in ascertaining the precise cause for this pain in the back and the legs and then treated appropriately depending upon the test results. And in the meantime you may try one or more of the following treatments to help the pain symptomatically;

A) General measures like;

Heat or Ice

Physical therapy

Massage therapy etc

B) Following are the various Medication treatment options;

NSAID pain killers like Naproxen, or Tramadol

Pain relieving skin creams/ointments like Myoflex or Penetrex

Pain relieving skin patches like Diclofenac patches, or Lidocaine anesthetic pain relieving skin patches

Nerve-pain pills like Gabapentin or Amitriptyline

Muscle relaxants like Baclofen or Tizanidine

Opioid (narcotic pain killers) like Lortab or Percocet etc

C) Following are some of the additional measures to help with this type pf pain;

Diathermy therapy

Ultrasound therapy

Lumbar Traction therapy

Laser therapy (Cold laser therapy or Low Level Laser Therapy)

Interferential therapy - a type electrotherapy

TENS (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation) – another type of electrotherapy

ESI (Epidural steroid injections) etc

If you see any of the above treatments you have already tried please disregard them and you may explore the treatment options that you have not already tried to help in relieving this pain. I am not telling all these above treatments are required in your case, just providing you with a list of several different treatment options that are available for your condition so that you are familiar with varieties of treatments which you may use as necessary.

To summarize once again;

There are varieties of underlying conditions that can cause back and leg pain as mentioned above

A thorough examination in the clinic followed by certain relevant investigations can help to find out the precise cause for this pain and then treated appropriately as discussed above

In the meantime for the symptomatic relief from the pain you may try one or more of the above mentioned treatment options which can help in providing relief from this pain.

Please go through the above answer which is based on what information I had gathered from your original question. If you want to discuss this further or if you need any additional clarifications please get back to me, and also please try to provide me the additional information I had inquired earlier through the questions I had posted above and I am available here for further discussions until you are satisfied. And please click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too.

Best Regards!

Hi, please go through the above answer when your time permits and please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further and I am available here.

Best Regards!