Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I've just been browsing the web to try to figure out what

Customer Question

Hi! My names is Rachel and I've just been browsing the web to try to figure out what has been causing my nausea the last three days. It began on Wednesday night around 7. My stomach began hurting really bad from what I thought were hunger pangs since I had had a light dinner around six. So when I got home around 9 I had a banana and some liquids, which didn't ease the pangs. For the next three house I had extreme stomach pain, I went diarrhea around 6 times, and eventually had to make myself throw up in attempts to ease the pain. Throwing up helped for a time but the stomach pain and nausea returned. The next morning I was very nauseas untill the afternoon, where I substantial meal containg bread eased the pain. It barely throbbed until after dinner that night where I had to again make myself throw up. The pain and nausea weren't as bad as the night before. This morning I felt fine until I had a bowl of cereal where I began to feel nauseas once again and have continued to feel nauseous throughout the day although it has been lessening. Today's nausea wasn't as bad as the first day's but it is bad enough to disrupt my schedule. I have had food poisoning several times before and so the stomach pain from the first day that was in my entire stomach was familiar. Never has my food poisong symptoms lasted this long nor have been followed with two days of nausea and stomach pain in the middle to upper part of my body. I am sorry to bother you if this is a simple case of food poisoning but I have grown quite annoyed with this feeling and a beg assistance and advise on what I should do to remove it. Thank you for the time and please forgive me for this very long message.
JA: How long has this been bothering you? Are you experiencing any vomiting or nausea?
Customer: It has been bothering me for two days and I have been experiencing nausea since then.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Not really. The only thing I can think of is that stomach problems are very common in my family and I feel I am quite sensitive to them,
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I meant to say that the later stomach pain was occurring in my mid to upper stomach. I also feel it has been accompanied with constipation.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
In case you need to know the light dinner I had that may be the cause to this pain I had a had a spinach salad with shrimp, pineapple, and lemon.
Expert:  Dr. Captain replied 7 months ago.

Hello!

Welcome to the JustAnswer.com question/answer interface.

I am a Family Medicine doctor, board certified with active licenses and certification in Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology, as well as Integrative Medicine & Naturopathy, with advanced training in Neurology, Cardiovascular Medicine, Gastroenterology, Endocrinology, and Psychiatry. I am also well-trained in Functional Medicine. — For your review, here is my direct link with my current ratings: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-familydoctor/

— I have read your post and observations about your abdominal pains. You are quite the excellent historian, thank you for such detailed history! Would you prefer a summary response to your question, or would you prefer more back-and-forth, where there will be a series of more questions and more details clarified? There is no difference in charges for your preference. You can continue to ask questions and receive answers without additional charges.

Either way, the goal is for your satisfaction, and I’ll do my best to take the appropriate time to help you.

— In case you were not aware, there is no charge for the time it takes for us to reach an answer that meets your satisfaction. I generally try not to rush any answers, and I hope you will not feel rushed either.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you so much for your immediate response! I am very grateful for your time and expertise! I think that a back-and-forth approach would probably be easiest. Thanks again!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No thank you I do not wish to call.

No problem! Happy to help :) Where would you like to begin?

I could go through a list of possible causes for you, we could talk about management of the most likely cause... we could try to figure out the particular cause in your case

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Perfect!

well... those were options for you to select from :)

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Could we start with the causes?

The differential diagnosis of this sort of pain is quite broad, including hiatal herniation, cholelithiasis given your history, gastritis, nutritional maladies, gynecological sources including endometriosis or illnesses of ovarian origin, and hormonal variability, peri-menstrual syndromes, infectious gastroenteritis, among many others. In your case, some other concerns, foodborne illnesses, infectious viral agents, as well as stressors may be contributors as well

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Alright! So what information do you need to try to determine what is the cause in my case?

have you measured any temps at home? any vomiting? any one sick around you? any travel anywhere? any vaginal symptoms? any stool changes?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The answer is no to all those questions except for the vomiting. The nausea was so bad the first night and the second that I made myself throw up to temporally ease the pain. The first night though, once I made myself throw up a couple times my body seemed to be able to do its on its own. I probably threw up around 12 times that night.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Forgive my ignorance, but what are stool changes?

you poor thing! that sounds so horrible... stool is the medical word for poop. Have you had diarrhea/constipation/blood, or anything that looked like black/tarry substance. 12 times is so much vomit! Ouch! How are you feeling today? any better?