Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Im experiencing tingling in my left arm and shoulder pain,

Customer Question
Im experiencing tingling in...

Im experiencing tingling in my left arm and shoulder pain

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

Nio swelling it seems to get worse if i sit and lean forward with my arms on my knees also when I'm tiered and i did injure my rite shoulder about foour months ago

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
1/6/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Can i ask do you also have numbness or burning in the left arm? what is your age and gender? And weakness in the left arm?

Since you seem to be offline, ill leave a response here which we can discuss later on.

Well from your description it sounds like that you may have developed a minor injury of the nerve which is causing the tingling in the left arm and the pain in the shoulder as well. It is very likely that you may have injured the nerve when you had the injury several months back. Many a time the nerve injuries manifest themselves later on and they usually do present as either sharp shooting pain or burning or tingling in the affected limb. Now from your symptoms it sounds like that this may be the axillary nerve or an injury to the brachial plexus (which is web of nerves in the shoulder and arm pit which supply the whole arm). Now the first step here would be to get a clinical examination done as many of these nerves injuries can be localized on a simple clinical examination, along with the exam you would also need a NCS/EMG test done. Once diagnosed this can be treated with various medications like lyrica or neurontin, physiotherapy, TENS therapy etc.

Now it is also possible that rather than injuring the nerve, your nerve is being compressed at the level of the shoulder. This would cause the intermittent pain as well as the tingling sensation in the arm. This would be diagnosed in a similar manner and treated in the same way with the difference that if it is being compressed then surgery can be done to relieve the compression completely eliminating the symptoms.

Now i would suggest that you have this evaluated by visiting your doctor as soon as possible, so that you can get started on the required treatment.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/